Mold in our house?

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 3
Member
562 posts
Busy bee

I would definitely bring it up with the landlord. While most varieties of mold are completely harmless, there are some types and cases where the people get very sick or even die… (Brittany Murphy). Obviously, those are extremely rare cases, so please don’t freak out about that. It’s just a point that you could get sick so its best to get rid of it. 

If your landlord waterproofs your basement, and then you spray mold cleaner on all the mold and keep a dehumidifier down there, you should be completely fine! The first step are identifying the mold, water proofing, dehumidifying, and killing the mold with sprays or chemicals. 

Post # 5
Member
562 posts
Busy bee

@MichiganGirl24:  Yes I agree. Plus, the mold will just spread, so by having him fix it now, he will be saving himself money from having to tear down the drywall or flooring of more of the house later on. And I agree that your health is the main priority. 

Post # 6
Member
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

it’s highly likely that there is mold in that basement and mold is really bad news. even if it’s not black mold. We had a mold problem in DH’s condo and we had constant headaches, colds, congestion etc. You should notify the landlord and he should have a professional check it out immediately. 

Post # 8
Member
5697 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

pretty much as soon as I moved in with him. He always had symptoms but we didn’t realize it until we moved. He used to get migraines regularly as well but doesn’t anymore. As you said you’ve kept the windows open and of course, it was summer so things were dryer. You really should just call him. It’s not really something to sit around and wonder if it really is mold or not. Just have it checked out. 

Post # 9
Member
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@MichiganGirl24:  I also live in an old house (1860) with a Michigan basement.  What you are describing in your basement is totally normal for an old house with this type of basement.  

Do you have a dehumidifier running in the basement?  We have one running in the basement at all times, and one running on the first floor as needed.  It’s  cut out the mildew smell completely. Have you thought about getting a new furnace filter?  Since you said your symptoms started a month ago, it might correspond to when you turned on your heat!   

Post # 11
Member
50 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@MichiganGirl24:  I would ask him!  Everyone I know that has a Michigan basement has a de-humidier running in it at all times.  I’m surprised he hasn’t provided you with one.  We run ours 50/50 (on one day, not the next) and it has increased out bill by roughly $13 a month.  

Post # 12
Member
7090 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

A basement like that absolutely needs a dehumidifier.

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors