- 2 years ago
- Wedding: April 2013
My sweet nephew is going to turn 1 year old in a few months – any ideas what I should get him for his 1st birthday? I am COMPLETELY overthinking it for some reason (ok, the reason is because he’s the sweetest little guy in the whole wide world and I’m totally obsessed with him – yes, he is my first and only nephew/niece). Any moms out there have a nice idea of a gift for his first birthday?
If it helps, here is more info:
– I’ve asked my sis if there is anything on his (*ahem*her) wish list, but there is nothing. She lives in an apartment and already has everything needed and, frankly, is a little overwhelmed at the thought of getting lots of gifts. I’m already planning to help her plan and throw the party, which is all she really wants.
– He’s a 1 year old, so I have no illusions that he actually cares about toys. His favorite toys these days are the TV remote, anyone’s cell phone, and basically anything he shouldn’t be touching. He also already has more stylish closthes than he can wear as well as a bulging library.
– I’d like to do something sentimental, if I can think of something good.
– I could also use feedback on how much money it’s normal to spend. I don’t have a problem with spending lots of money (again, I only have the one nephew and he’s basically my favorite thing in the world) but it would probably be nice to set a more reasonable prescedent.
Right now the best ideas I have are:
– Make him a special custom “My Family” book with pictures of each of his family members with titles like “my mommy” etc to help him learn all the names and faces. Any feedback on whether that is an age appropriate gift? Is that something that’s more for a 2 year old? I’d probalby have to find a site that can print board books to really make this work.
– Get him a high quality wooden toy of some sort, probably something montessori related. I like these because they can be used for years and are beautiful. The big downside here is that he already has a lot of nice blocks etc so doesn’t really need more.
– A hiking backpack. This is more something that I want since I want to take him hiking in something more comfortable than his ergo carrier (which I bought my sister for her shower). Reality is that my sister doesn’t hike and this is really expensive, so probably not the best call.
Thoughts ladies? Did any of you receive anything you really loved?