More wedding band issues– turning finger green!!

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Generally speaking, I too am “allergic” to many metals… My skin will turn green and itchy, often painful…. Even with allergy-specific jewelry! I began wearing only sterling silver, white gold and platinum to alleviate the issue. However, I realized that the SS sometimes continued to cause issues. This was also sometimes true if the jewelry was any other metal and coated in gold. I found out that SS is often mixed with trace amounts of “other” metal, which seems to be a standard. I think because it makes it harder, but dont’t quote me on that. Either way, it was those “other metals” that I had an allergy to. I also have ultrasensitive skin. Also make sure you buy from a reliable jeweler, as I originally found out I had the allergy when a family member once bought me a supposed gold ring (stamp indicating only for a 14k). We soon took it to a different jeweler and found out that it was some other metal coated in rhodium once my finger turned green. Rhodium is what yellow gold is coated in to make it “white gold”. 

Post # 4
Member
849 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

@MistySoda:  When a ring is stamped wth 925, it means that it’s sterling silver MOSTLY but it usually still has some copper in it and copper can turn skin green. Even though it’s a small amount of copper, it happens to some people…especially if you have a high amount of acidity in your body. Sometimes, silver may be mixed wih something else, but most commonly it’s copper.

I would bring it back to the jeweler and see if there’a anything they can do. If not, I would look for a different metal.

Good luck!

Post # 6
Member
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@citysparkle:  some jewelers use nickel as a cheaper alterternative to copper as an additive in SS. Unfortunately a fairly high percentage of the population have an allergy to nickel.

Post # 7
Member
3112 posts
Sugar bee

@MistySoda:  I am also allergic to nickel.  Mine ring is Palladium and DH’s is titanium.  I would suggest either of those.

Post # 8
Member
275 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@MistySoda:  I have a friend who’s allergic to copper, nickel and *all* of the filler crap they put in jewelry. After many many experiments, he found that surgical stainless steel doesnt make him break out, turn green, or (eewww) have the jewelry melt into his skin overnight, because it doesn’t have any “filler” metals that he reacts to. In fact, i believe that its pure stainless steel or else they wouldn’t be allowed to perform surgery with it.

He currently has a religious cross necklace made out of surgical steel (and has never taken it off for a couple years now), so I know they make jewelry out of surgical steel. If all else fails (your FI keeps reacting no matter what metal combinations you try), see if you can get a band made out that.

It doesn’t matter how fancy or expensive a metal is, if it has any sort of filler metal (which is in *everything*) that you’re allergic to, you will react. Some people are just more sensitive.

Post # 9
Member
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

Get him a titanium ring. DH has one, they’re like $100, they’re indestructible, and they don’t turn green/don’t need to be re-dipped!

Post # 10
Member
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

Good points here from everyone else… as noted some common jewellery metals are made up from a combo of other metals… (melted down and mixed together) Sterling Silver is one of these things (.975 means 97.5% silver and 2.5% other)

And as stated, sometimes people are “allergic” to the other metals (often copper) which indeed with sweat will turn one’s finger green.

Wikipedia – Sterling Silver = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_silver

— — —

TO @smv22114:  altho you info is mostly correct it does have one item that isn’t so…

White Gold IS NOT Yellow Gold dipped in Rhodium to make it appear White.

White Gold is much like Sterling Silver (my explanation above about the molten state) in that it is a mixed metal.  It is made up of a high percentage of Yellow Gold and other white metals that make it appear more white in colour (usually nickel)

Wikipedia – White Gold = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gold#White_gold

Rhodium Plating is only used as a “coating” to make the White Gold appear shinier, because the natural patina of White Gold is quite dull (not what the average consumer wishes for)

However there is no requirement to keep up the Rhodium Plating.  A White Gold ring will not ever look like Yellow Gold over time.  If the Rhodium Plating wears down, the White Gold will remain white in colour, just not be shiny.

Similarly Rose Gold that is quite popular now… is a mix of Gold Gold and Copper, which gives the gold a pinkish shade.

Hope this helps,

 

Post # 11
Member
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

 

@This Time Round:  My mistake for not explaining that the “mostly yellow gold” also has some alternative additives that help to make “white gold” white. Although, I do have to admit that the composition is slightly irrelevant in the point I was trying to make, simply because I was trying to convey that there is a lot of jewelry out there that is not gold at all, given the appearance by Rhodium… An even whiter metal than white gold itself. The point was that it is often a standard to improve the look of real gold, it’s also used to mislead unsuspecting buyers when coating other, cheaper metals.

Post # 12
Member
10219 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

TO @smv22114:  true enough.  Plating (be it gold or any other metal) is often used to make something appear different from what it actually is.  Every buyer should be very clear on what they are purchasing by looking for the required metal stamps on a piece they are thinking of buying.

Good jewellery will be marked with a “K Stamp” = 10 K – 14 K – 18 K – 22 K – or 24 K / pure gold.

Silver with a percentage mark (ie .925 or above)

 

Post # 13
Member
4494 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

the issues your FI’s having probably are just that he has a sensitivity  (nickel’s the most common one, and it’s in many sterling silver and white gold alloys).  Different people have different levels of sensitivity – I can wear rings with nickel but earrings that do will make my ears bleed, some people can’t even wear rings without getting a reaction.  The ring may not necessarily be a cheap piece of crap, but sterling silver’s not a great choice for a wedding band anyways, since it’s soft and bends more easily than most metals used for wedding bands .  Just return that ring.  I agree with the suggestion of getting a  titanium ring instead.  It’s durable, affordable, and hypoallergenic.

 

 

 

Post # 14
Member
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I find that older jewelry made of SS is awesome and causes almost no problems for people with sensitive skin, but a lot of the new SS being manufactured does cause problems due to cheaper alloys being used. Also there is lots of junk being imported from china marked 92.5 (& even 14k and PT950) that’s not. 

Truly good SS (from fine jewelers or studio smiths should be fine) but mass manufactured SS jewelry can be questionable – ESP because the cheaper nickel is used as an alloy.

(Sterling silver is at least 92.5 percent pure silver, the rest are alloys necessary to make the silver hard and durable enough to use for jewelry. Which alloys are important to the skin sensitivity issue and any reputable jeweler should beable to tell u the exact composition)

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors