(Closed) Most reliable, fuel efficient & least expensive car?!

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
4137 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

you might want to look for a used ford escape hybrid. i’m not sure if there are similar models from honda and toyota, but a hybrid would definitely save on gas, it just costs a little more upfront.

Post # 4
256 posts
Helper bee

ok so i work in a motor factors, i know very girly right?;) basically we sell car parts, now living in ireland i know we dont have all the same brads of vehicles but i must say toyota are one the most reliable cars out there and rarely give any trouble:)

i drive an audi and i know if something goes wrong with it it will end up costing me a pretty penny:( bmw’s seem to be troublesome enough when they start to act up… now im not sure about there but here in ireland diesel is the only way to go, way more efficent, especially for someone like me sice i put up alot of milage on both vehicles i drive…

if you want to give me any models youre interested in, if we have them here i an give you any info i have on them, hope this helps:)

Post # 5
543 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Look at a Kia. They’re realiable, have an awesome warranty, get good gas mileage, and aren’t expensive. I love my Kia.

Post # 6
1124 posts
Bumble bee

Try to find a used Ford. Great gas mileage and they hold up really well.

Post # 7
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

I drive a Toyota Highlander and I love it.  Since it’s an SUV it has all the space I need but it’s actually built on the camry base so it’s safer than most SUV’s because the risk of flipping it is much lower.  I have the regular version which gives me about 24 mpg on the highway, but they make a hybrid too.  But, you will probably have to get a pretty old one to get down to $10,000.  The good thing is Toyotas last FOREVER.  I fully intend to put like 200,000 miles on this car before it gets retired.

Post # 8
256 posts
Helper bee

for work i drive a kia c’eed, two years old with 140,000kms up on it, and still running like it did first day, it is a car though but they have the kia sportage? it seems to be reliable enough

Post # 10
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

If you’re not looking to spend more than 10K on a SUV, you’re going to end up with something old, very used, and not very fuel efficient. I’m currently shopping for a small SUV/crossover and unless i want something with more than 30,000 miles on it, i can’t find anything good for under 25K.

I have a toyota matrix and you can get a brand new one for 15K or so, so a slightly used one would be under 10K. It sits up higher than a car and has a hatchback trunk so i can load stuff up like an SUV but it’s not as big. Also gas mileage is stellar. I spend $30 once a week and I drive all over the place. 

Do you need the SUV? It may not be feasible on that budget…without compromising the reliability anyways.

Post # 11
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I second the kias, I love mine. I know they have a bad rap as being cheap cars but I haven’t had any problems and I was able to get a brand new one for less than 15k. When I was in the showroom I was looking at the sportage it looked really nice.

Post # 12
5921 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I know it isn’t an SUV, but I have a 2007 Chrysler Sebring, and I LOVE it! We bought it new for about $13,000, so used would totally be in your budget.  It has a ton of room, and a giant trunk, so it can hold everything a SUV could, for the most part.

This is the one I have.

Post # 13
2090 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Unfortunately, there really are no SUVs that are “really good” on gas, especially not the larger SUVs like the Tahoe/4Runner you’ve mentioned.

I have a Toyota 4Runner, and its not terrible on gas, but in the whole spectrum of cars, its def not “very good” on gas. It’s a 2005 and the trade in value today is still over $15k, so finding one for 10k is really going to be a stretch – unless it needs a lot of work done to it, or is much older. It costs me $60 to fill the tank.

If you really need a SUV for an actual purpose like towing or something but gas costs are a real concern for you then honestly, I’d probably get a beater truck for a couple grand and get a car for everyday use. If you want an SUV, then higher gas prices is the trade off you have to pay.

I know there are a couple hybrid SUVs in the larger sizes, but they won’t be anywhere near $10k. :-/

One thing too, as gas prices go up and demand for large SUVs falls, you might be able to find some better deals, but you’ll probably also have a harder time getting a top trade-in value for your Tahoe. Sorry to be a debbie downer!! 🙁

Post # 14
73 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

is it worth what you owe?

Post # 15
351 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I drive a 2007 Ford Escape (not hybrid) and it’s pretty great. I know it could last a long time if I wanted to keep it a few more years. It costs me around $43 to fill up and I get about 20 miles to the gallon. The trade in value on it is about $13k. So…maybe if you looked for an older Escape you could find one around $10k.

Also, if you want an SUV that’s good on gas, I would recommend any SUV with a 4 cylnder. My mom has a Honda CRV and it gets better gas mileage than my escape.

I fear you may lose money on trading in your Tahoe so soon though. Be prepared to take a loss 🙁

Post # 16
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I had a 4 cyl. Mitsubishi Outlander.  I LOVED it.  It got great gas mileage (like a car) and sat so comfortably.  The seats (even in the back) were awesome.  I am so sad that I leased it and had to give it back.  In 2007 I believe they went through a major body restyle.  Any model from 07-08 is around $10k now I think.  New they are about $25k. 

The topic ‘Most reliable, fuel efficient & least expensive car?!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors