- 5 years ago
- Wedding: October 2012
So we got married & it was fabulous, but I really just can’t get over my mother in law’s actions over the course of our wedding weekend.
1. My in-laws had promised to pay for our trolley. My parents had put down the initial payment (before the in-laws offered) and so when the due date for the final payment came & they hadn’t heard from the in-laws about it, they just paid it. My mom had tried to contact MIL re: payment, but received no response. To date, MIL has not reimbursed my parents for the trolley rental or even mentioned it.
2. MIL showed up to rehearsal a half hour late, wearing jeans, flipflops, a tshirt, & a hoodie. Her excuse was that she came straight from work. Okay, that excuses your tardiness but definitely not your clothing.
3. MIL texted us an hour before the rehearsal to let us know that Brother in law & Best Man wasn’t coming as he had a test he “just found out about.” She defended him at the rehearsal, saying “that’s just how he goes through life, he never checks his schedule ahead of time.” Then casually mentioned to me that he had a class the next morning & probably wouldn’t make it into town for the wedding until about 4pm (pictures started at 230pm & we had informed EVERYONE of this). When I asked whether he was going to make it to the wedding since these things kept “unexpectedy coming up,” she got angry at ME.
4. I asked for months to see a picture of her dress but got no response. Finally the day of the wedding I saw it. She likes to shop in the Juniors dept at Kohls despite being 60yrs old and this was once again, from the Jrs dept. It met the color requirements, but it was all kinds of wrong. She’s very thin, but it clung to her body in all the wrong places and as a result made her look much older than she actually is and a lot like trailer trash. (Note: the in-laws have plenty of money. She definitely could have afforded a much better dress, she just didn’t care.)
5. My sister in laws dresses desperately needed alterations. One of the girls dresses was too large and needed the sides taken in. The other dress was way too long (should have been knee length, was nearly ankle length instead). Neither of the girls has a drivers license, so they needed someone to take them. I gave MIL a name and address of an alterations lady close to her house that was very inexpensive. Surprise, surprise, she didn’t take the dresses to be altered. As a result, one of my SILs spent the entire day holding up her dress and the other looked oddly out of place next to the others due to the length of her dress.
6. We have yet to receive a gift from the in-laws. Now I wasn’t expecting anything from my parents as they paid for almost the entire wedding (we paid for some). But my parents generously gave us All Clad pots & pans. My brothers chipped in and gave us Cutco knives. I was absolutely shocked when the day after the wedding, MIL told us she “forgot” to get us a gift and would probably just transfer some money into my husband’s account. How do you FORGET that your oldest son is getting married? And how is that even an excuse? Oh and by the way, we have yet to see that money transferred or receive even a card from anyone in his family.