(Closed) Mr & Mrs. & Family? or The ___ Family?

posted 7 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: Which can/should i do?
    Stick with "The ___ Family" it'll be fine, no one cares so much : (9 votes)
    60 %
    If you can manage, you should probably do the separate +family, but if not, inbd : (3 votes)
    20 %
    Absolutely Mr&Mrs&Family. no way around it this is a MUST : (1 votes)
    7 %
    Other (I'll explain below!) : (2 votes)
    13 %
  • Post # 3
    2116 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: June 2011

most people wont care, if they do.. they’ll get over it- that being said I’m doing tons of crap I know only I will care about, oh well.

Post # 4
    3982 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I sent it to the family. I mean, the Mr. & Mrs. are included in that family right? And besides, after the open it, they wont pay much attention to HOW it was addresses anyway!

Post # 5
    1696 posts
    Bumble bee

Actually, “and Family”, while better than “The XXX Family”, is still an informal short-cut, and risks having the XXX’s assume that little Janie’s best friend, Great-Auntie Mildred who is going to be in town that weekend, and Junior’s current crush, are all part of “the Family”.

A formal invitation to a family, where the children are not yet out socially, is correctly addressed to:

Mr and Mrs Surname (or Mr Hisname and Ms Hername)Master Thomas, Miss Surname, Miss Jane

(Assuming one son and two daughters and no complicating maiden aunts to confuse the naming issue. “Miss Surname” is the oldest unmarried relative of that name, and all the younger relatives with the same name go by “Miss Firstname”.)

Sons and daughters who are considered adults for social purposes should be sent their own separate invitations.

That being said, if you aren’t committed to formal correct form for the rest of your wedding, you don’t need to worry about formality on your addressing either. No one should feel offended because you choose to be informal — unless they are relative strangers, and then why would you be inviting them?

The topic ‘Mr & Mrs. & Family? or The ___ Family?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors