- 3 years ago
- Wedding: July 2013
My original due date was Sunday 3/30 which came and went. I was having lots of Prodromal labor that would start to build and then just stall. Friday 4/5 my midwife had me come in for an ultrasound and NST to get a better idea about what was going on. Baby looked healthy, but they decided to induce me the following Monday 4/7.
Monday we got to the birthing center at 8:00 in the morning and got checked in. They did another NST and ultrasound to check on the baby. My midwife came in around 9:00 and did an exam and we came up with a plan. My midwife told me she was concerned because the baby was measuring over 8 lbs which is big for me since I’m on the small side. I was already 3cm dilated and 80% effaced, so we decided to start off with Misoprostol and hope my body takes over and goes into labor on its own. I got the first dose and after being monitored for an hour, I was able to go walk the halls.
I came back to my room to be monitored for a half an hour before my next dose. Turns out my body had kicked itself into labor, but the contractions were too long and close together. They were mild so they didn’t hurt, but they did feel like something wasn’t quite right. With the contractions the way they were, my midwife said I didn’t fit the criteria for getting more medication to further induce labor. She checked me and I was 3.5cm dilated and 100% effaced, so she decided to break my water and see if my body would regulate itself. My water was broken at 5:00 pm and I was again sent to walk the halls.
At about 5:35 my first big contraction hit. It was so strong and came on so suddenly that I could barely make it through it. It was all back labor and was intense. My body started shaking uncontrollably and i couldn’t walk or talk through the pain. I somehow made it back to my room and the contractions were getting worse and seemed to be lasting a long time. I was not handling them well and my nurse suggested I get into the tub since my plan had been for a water birth. The tub ended up not doing anything to relieve the pain and the contractions were getting worse. I was shaking and bawling and I turned to my husband and said I needed an epidural and he agreed.
They got me back in bed and I was hooked back up to the monitors and prepped for the epidural. The monitors showed I was having intense contractions that were lasting 3-4 minutes each with only a 30-45 second break in between. Not moving through the epidural was extremely difficult, but I got instant relief from the pain once it was over. Once I was settled, I was checked and was 5 cm dilated. My midwife inserted a monitor vaginally to measure the strength of my contractions and I was told to rest for an hour. By the time my hour was up, I started feeling intense pressure in my bladder during each contraction. My midwife checked my out and said there wasn’t much they could do about the pressure. They ended up deciding to check and see if the pain was from a full bladder. The inserted the catheter and despite all the fluids getting pumped into me, they didn’t get much out. They were concerned and gave me more fluids.
An hour later my midwife came to talk to me. She told me my contractions had become too weak to cause dilation. I needed Pitocin, but I couldn’t have it with the frequency of my contractions. I couldn’t have more than one contraction in 30 minutes that lasted longer than 2 minutes. We decided to wait and see if my uterus regulated on its own. I was still feeling incredible pressure and now pain in my bladder, so they tried to empty it again. Again not much came out so they tried to push on it to drain it. It hurt really bad and the urine they got out was full of blood.
After another few hours my contractions finally started to get regular and I was able to have Pitocin. However, after 30 minutes of Pitocin, they had to take me off of it again because my uterus started freaking out again. By this point I was in really bad pain from my bladder and my body was shaking again. They tried to empty my bladder again, but this time got out even more blood. My midwife checked me and although I had made it to 6cm, my cervix had started swelling and thickening. She decided it was time to call in the OB on call.
The OB came quickly and did a full exam and looked over everything. He told me I needed to have a C-section because there was no way the baby was going to fit through my cervix and her head was obstructing my bladder. He said I could wait longer and try for a vaginal birth since the baby’s heart rate had been fantastic through everything, but the longer I wait, the more damage there could be to my bladder. I agreed to the C-section and everything happened really quickly from there.
Little Arianna Jean was born at 8:29am on 4/8/14. She was 8lb 2oz and twenty and three-fourths inches tall. She is completely perfect. So far she is a champion breast feeder and a pretty good sleeper. We are so in love with this little girl and just can’t stop smiling.