My Alterations were $600!!!!! Can I see pictures of your tulle bustles?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: How much were your alterations?
    Less that $100 : (6 votes)
    14 %
    $100-$400 : (26 votes)
    59 %
    $400-$600 : (7 votes)
    16 %
    $600 or more : (5 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 3
    1044 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2013

I had a tulle/lace overlay on mine, which really upped the price of the bustle. Mine cost 333 for just the hem and the bustle. However, the bustle has like 26 points or something crazy like that.

I feel your pain though. My dres fit perfectly on me, I was so surpirsed it was so expensive.

Post # 4
    8720 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

My alterations were $475 for a lot less than that…

Post # 5
    1864 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

Many of my married friends have told me “do not do your alterations at the store you buy your dress from, they’ll over charge you”. I found out a couple weeks ago that my bridal boutique wanted just over $500 to hem the dress, bring in it from the bust, add cups, add my lace sleeves, and create a bustle. I know it may not sound like a lot for all they have to do, however, one of my best friends is giving me the number to this greek lady she knows who works out of her house. She altered my friend’s Eve of Milady ball gown, and also added sleeves, for less than a hundred bucks. And her sleeves and bustle looked absolutely beautiful. 

Post # 6
    3598 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

Mine were $150 to take in the bust, add cups, and add the bustle.  For all the work you’re having done on your dress, I think it sounds fair.

Post # 7
    10988 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

@gelaine22:  +1

Mine were about $425 or so, and I had fewer alterations, too.

Post # 8
    7075 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

I think that price is pretty fair considering the amount of alterations you’re having done.

Post # 10
    1679 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Mine were $135. adding a bustle & major taking in on the sides and in the front seams. I went with a private seamstress who is well known for doing wedding dress alterations. I agree with PPs…bridal stores always seem to charge more in house!

Post # 11
    2076 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

Considering all you’re having done to the dress, I’d say that’s a reasonable price even though it hurts the wallet, taking out boning, redesigning the back to a zip, and raising cups/bust involves a ton of work, basically remaking the whole top half of your dress. 

As others have mentioned, my alterations would have been $400 for a hem, bustle, and adding cups. The salon comped my alterations due to an order mix up.  I thought their price was inane but prepared to pay since I didn’t know where else to take it. My dress had a silk bodice and full tulle skirt. 

Post # 12
    2535 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

I am going to look and see if I can find a picture of my bustle actually done up… beacuse I let my photographer do it and ( FACEPALM!) she attatced the elastic ( that goes around your writs) to the button and called it good … so my dress ended up getting ripped … I thought it was broke till right before I left my reception and someone actually did it right! =[

My bustle was only 30$

MY hem 45 $ ( I think)

bringing it it was around…. 120$

and I added the sleeve myself..

Your alterations might be a bit pricy but not by much

I can’t find a good picture…

and you can’t really see it in the bottom picture cause its blurred… but I had a three tear point so it mad three tears right on and under my bum.

for my balldown ( and most I have seen) it is the most elegent option.

However I did add a picture of it just down I only have a sweep train and so it really wasn’t too bad to move around in.

good luck!

Post # 13
    1436 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I had mine hemmed, the sleeves brought in and about 15 layers of crinoline taken out. There was a lot of bead work across the sleeves to the bodice, and there was a fine gossamer top layer. I wanted a bustle, but the dress was too damn big LOL. Alterations cost me 600. Thankfully the dress was free.

Post # 14
    1721 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@Miss Leopard:  we are taking my corset in, doing the bustle, she had to take off like 6 inches from the hem (and that’s WITH my 6 inch heels on! Gota love those short genes lol) and I’m blanking out on what else I’m having dine off the top of my head but it will end up being around $600.., a lttle less. It would have been less if we weren’t having to take the corset in. Here’s a picture of sone of the bustle 

Post # 15
    1894 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

mine was over $600.for much less work. The fit was basically fine – just a small tuck under the arms to fit a bit closer. the hem was.a lot because it was.tulle with lace trim so it had to be removed then resewn on.

finally the bustle which was given the ‘honor’ of being named hardest in her 30 year career…. took 4 visits but was a perfect fit that night

Post # 16
    38 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Mine was $300 for a simple hem and very slight bust adjustment.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors