My alterations were $720!!!!!!!!!!!

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 2
397 posts
Helper bee

I’ve been told by people who have worked at bridal salons that they deliberately order larger than your size, as to drive your alterations up (assuming you will have them done there). Now, I’m sure some would deny this and it doesn’t likely happen everywhere, but I know it happened to me. It was more cost effective for me to have ordered a new dress, which is what I did.

Post # 3
706 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

My original alterations (hem and bustle) cost $350.  The woman completely screwed up my dress, so it is at another seamstress to get fixed.  The second price tag is $470.  Grand total for alterations..$820 :/

Post # 4
3661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Where did you have the alterations done? Was it at the same place as where you bought the dress?

Post # 5
339 posts
Helper bee

Wow, that is a lot in comparison to the cost of the dress.  Are you able to get another quote elsewhere? It’s a pity they ordered the dress 2 sizes too big 🙁 that will definitely be contributing to the excessive alteration cost. 

Post # 6
111 posts
Blushing bee

lauraashley09:  Have not ordered a dress yet but wow thanks for sharing your experience.

I am learning so much about the hidden costs of Bridal everything on here.

Post # 7
3389 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I paid about 700 for mine and I still hated the damn dress. 

Post # 10
42101 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

lauraashley09:  Did you ask them what the cost of alterations would be when you ordered the dress ? Or when you ordered the alterations?

Sometimes the laterations can’t be avoided as we have to order the dress to fit the largest part of our body. Sometimes it seems like they do deliberately order the dress too big in order to make more money from the alterations.

Post # 12
8720 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

I would get quotes elsewhere……

Post # 13
1664 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

gelaine22:  +1 usually independent seamstresses are much more affordable. 

Post # 14
3661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

It’s not always a bad thing to have them done at the same place, although it can mean that they have a vested interest in having you buy the dress two sizes too big because it makes them more money in the end. I was more wondering if it was a David’s Bridal, because I’ve heard horror stories about their alteration prices.

I had my alterations done at the same salon I bought the dress from. Mine was a La Sposa with about a hundred layers of tulle (or at least it seemed like it) and an illusion neckline that needed to be altered. I had the dress hemmed, top fixed, and bustle made for $250. Your costs seem really high.

Post # 15
4827 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

Birdi:  Did you actually hate your wedding dress?! That sucks so bad!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors