(Closed) My Christmas gift from my parents was a bill for 8500 dollars…due next week.

posted 5 years ago in Money
Post # 3
372 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. I have no advice or insights to give, but I’m sending good thoughts your way and hope this all gets resolved. Parents shouldn’t screw their children over. Ever!

Post # 4
3082 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

Omg. This is so unbelievable. I think you need to get far away from your parents. They don’t seem like the type of parents that support you. 

Post # 5
116 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2009

That is wrong and I’m really sorry.  Maybe you should throw a big fit, like your sister, and tell your parents they don’t love you as much b/c they are making a crazy decision and have put you in a difficult position, almost screwing you over in your future education.

Post # 6
6124 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I am very very sorry they dropped the bomb on you!  My dad was notorious for screwing people over.  I just never accept help from anyone these days.

Don’t despair!

Get a hold of your financial aid office as soon as you can.  Figure out who your financial adivsor is (usually last names assgined).  You can do loans and get them rolling as soon as you meet with an advisor.

I was went through a divorce and I was carless and winter was coming and tuition was due.  I had no savings either (even the laywer was paid with student loan money). 

I think I had to buy a car with a credit card, but then when the student loan money came in I was able to take it off the card and pay for the car and my tuition.  I really think I did this all in one week’s time.

A) use a credit card to pay any immediate things

B) get to a financial aid office immediately

C) if you cannot get the full $8500 in loans, drop some credits for this semester

I know it’s not what you wanted, it sucks, but you do have other (not as spectacular) options available.

Post # 7
11273 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@Dizbee:  i’m sorry that you have to deal with this payment but also the fact that your sister is so unstable.  she is obviously jealous and insecure of you.  i do agree that parents should be treating their children equally and fairly.  that being said, i believe the way they went about this repayment is quite harsh.  i guess they had a choice to keep the peace.  pay your sister $x or demand repayment from you for $x.

Post # 8
1810 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m sorry that they did that.

I agree with sienna76 about getting in touch with your financial aid office. I don’t know what school you attend, but my school allows for payments to be made so that students who do not receive financial aid can pay over the semester. I wonder if that is an option for you, especially if you can make a least one payment with some of the funds in your savings account.

Then that will give you a little bit of time to get a loan figured out. Are you familiar with FAFSA? I got all of my loans through the government– not private– and filling out the FAFSA was a requirement. You’ll need your financial information, like last years taxes, etc, in order to fill it out, but you can do it online. Some of my loans qualified for government subsidized interest.

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ 

Good luck!

Post # 9
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

That really stinks.

You said you just put $6k in savings, right? So you only need to come up with $2,500 more? And your FI is in a position to help?

Post # 10
2414 posts
Buzzing bee

I am so, so, so sorry that you are going through this.

You’ve already been given some good ideas and I hope you can figure out a way to work around this without dropping out of school.

The only possible good thing that can come out of this is that you will never be in this situation again. You’ll never again trust them or give them the power to screw with your life like this.

I’m just astounded that they dropped the bomb on you like this, with no notice whatsoever. Wow, just WOW.

If I were in your situation, I would put a serious guilt trip on them and tell them that you’re dropping out of law school. Then I would keep contact with them to a minimum while quietly figuring out a way to get the money you need. They don’t need or deserve to hear an update if you figure out a way to swing your tuition. Let them stop and think about what havoc this is wreaking on your life and your future.

(((Hugs))) and please come here to vent as often as you need to.

Post # 11
611 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

The first thing you should have done was call your school’s financial aid office.

Next? Cut your parents out of your life, at least for a while. They sound manipulative, controlling, unsupportive, vindictive and cruel. You don’t need any of that.

Post # 12
214 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

My SO is in a similar situation. I am kind of un clear, but it sounds like your parents are asking you to pay them back? If they are don’t do it, don’t give them a dime. Tell them their sudden lack ofsupport has caused you to have to evaluate some things and you will not be paying them because of it. They gave you that money up front with no expectation of repayment. Cut all financial ties with them. I’m very sorry this has happened to you, it’s very sad your parents would allow this. 

Post # 13
9917 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

If you just put $6000 in savings, then all you need is $2500.  I was able to take out a loan for $2500 when I had absolutely no credit.  Just go to your local credit union; you’ll have the money in a few days.  

Also, you’re really lucky your school’s tuition is so low.  

Post # 14
2414 posts
Buzzing bee

I forgot to add– I would never accept another penny from them again, no matter what the circumstances.

I would then take the extra step of telling them that you’ll never accept anymore help from them.

Let them give it all to your greedy sister, and then she can afford more therapy sessions to figure out how to cope with the fact that she drove you out of her life.

Post # 15
3265 posts
Sugar bee

I also do not think that you are obligated to pay back gift money from your parents.  I understand why you may want to get them off your back, but given how much damage there is to the relationship I’m not sure it’s worth wrecking your future over.

Do not ever trust them again.

The topic ‘My Christmas gift from my parents was a bill for 8500 dollars…due next week.’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors