- 2 years ago
- Wedding: October 2014
So now that im on uni semester break, all hands are on deck to get as many projects done as possible. One of these are the bridal boquets and bouts. I have seven bridesmaids, including my matron of honour, and hubby2be will be having 5 groomsmen. As my sister and matron of honour live interstate; the possiblilty of them being able to take their bouquets home is non existant due to strict quarenteen laws concerning fresh flowers, plants and fruit. For this reason, I have chosen to go the diy route and have chosen to make flowers out of:
- hessian (burlap) roses (thanks to these, I no longer have any finger prints left due to them being burned off by the glue gun. jokes)
- a novel (pride and prejiduce.. my all time favorite love story… (Carrie and Big from SITC is a close second, but this story is much more romantic)
- feathers from my chickens because they are awesome
- gum leaves from my gum tree in my back yard
- little gum nuts from a gum tree at my boy’s school
- and diamontes cause who doesnt like sparkle?
so far, I have made 184 paper roses, 74 burlap roses, about 60 feathers on wire, and climbed up a massive tree to collect about 50 stems of gum nuts which have all been painted a hammered copper colour.
As the only time I will have to be making these up is during my mid semester uni break, I am currently going through the process of preserving my gum leaves in a solution of 1 part glycerin to 2 parts water to ensure that they stay soft and plyable once dried out. I am doing this because gum leaves when dry become very brittle and lose alot of their colour. It is an interesting process and I am crossing all fingers it works. I am hoping that they will be ready in about 2 -3 weeks time. Just to make sure they stay as green as possible, I did add a bit of green food dye to the solution just incase they do lose some colour during the drying process.
Today I did a bit of a mock up of what they will look like, and I am quite pleased however I think I need to pull the leaves down a bit more as they are a bit overpowering where they are in the following pictures. I also plan to make some ‘outer leaves’ in navy blue hessian which is inspired by another bee’s bouquet on here.
anyway, here are my mock pics. I will post final ones when finished
all ‘ingredients together’
bridesmaid bouquet mock up – gum leave need pulling down into the bouquet more i think…
bridal bouquet. hessian flowers need separating a bit more with paper flowers as there are a few holes and i think it needs a tad more greenage…
I plan to use navy blue hessian to make outer leaves like in this bouqet.