Post # 1
So, I ordered it right before Christmas and it’s in already. Unfortunately, I bought my dress in LA, and I am currently in Boston. I won’t be in LA again until mid-May. The shop owner is calling me to get the remaining payment, and although I am not EXPECTING there to be anything wrong with the dress, I don’t really want to pay the balance until I have the chance to see it & try it on to make sure there were no problems.
(It’s also a Pronovias, and I remember another Bee posting about how Pronovias had sent her the wrong size, so I am afraid of something like that happening!)
What should I do here? Is it wrong to hold payment for nearly 2 months? Is it a bad idea to pay for the dress sight unseen & have no leverage if something IS wrong with it? Should I stop worrying & just pay?
Post # 3
any good shop owner will understand that you need to see the dress first. that’s why you only place a deposit when you order! otherwise you would just pay upfront.
Post # 4
I think you should just explain the situation, and go pay in person when you’re back in LA. They should understand!
Post # 5
I wouldn’t feel comfortable sending the payment either. Hopefully the shop owner/manager will understand. Ultimately, it shouldn’t be a problem because, from a professional prespective, the worst case scenario is that you never come get it. Then they keep the deposit and the dress becomes a floor sample. They shouldn’t give you a hard time.
Post # 6
- Wedding: January 2011 - Vintage Villas
I would definitely talk to the shop owner and explain your situation – you shouldn’t have to pay until you see the dress!
Post # 7
Agree with the above. We paid the $600 deposit to order my dress, but I tried it on before paying the balance.
My shop owner allowed me to try the dress on, leave, and then come back two weeks later with my mom (who was paying for the dress.)
Post # 8
Ditto on all the other comments. I think the shop will understand as long as you explain the situation to them.
Post # 9
Great! Thanks for all the responses & I’m glad they were all one sided!! I will give her a call later today & hopefully it will be fine.