My final number is 150 I invited 230. I am getting married in Mid July

posted 4 weeks ago in Family
Post # 2
4022 posts
Honey bee

If people need to travel, it’s possible that they already had vacation plans booked or this is during the time when they would normally take their vacation and are choosing not to use that time to go to your wedding. Our wedding was in August and we had some declines because of this- it happens.

I’ve also declined wedding invites because I couldn’t justify using that time to go (I get somewhat limited vacation time)- it doesn’t mean I love the couple any less.

Post # 3
544 posts
Busy bee

150 is still a lot to me. When you invite over 200 people, I have to assume that many aren’t your nearest and dearest, and perhaps those acquaintances and distant relatives and coworkers wouldn’t be able to justify the expense of attending an out of state wedding, or couldn’t take more vacation time off, or were already planning to be out of town. Are all your VIPs coming? As long as the important people are coming, I really wouldn’t be offended. 

Post # 4
1082 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

150 is a lot.  I don’t think I even know 230 people lol.  We had like 10% decline rate but we only invited 97 people.  I think the larger the amount of people you invite the higher the decline rate is going to be.  With 97 people they were all people who were fairly close to us or our families, so they were people who were going to make their best effort to be there for the most part.

Post # 5
331 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

When you’re inviting 230 people there is bound to be a higher percentage of no’s as a lot of guests  simply are not that close to you.

If a close friend was having a wedding at an inconvenient time or location I would make an effort to be there but if the invite came from an acquaintance or distant relative then I would not make the same level of effort to attend. 

Post # 6
718 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

Yeah we invited 260 and about 160 showed. It ended up being great because I didn’t want that huge of a wedding to begin with! (160 was still a ton!)

Post # 9
2299 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I think you still have a good turn out.  When you invite that many people, you are going to end up with a higher no rate I would guess.  We invited 75 and had about 50 come.  There was a family emergency for one group, and another group had a different OOT wedding the following weekend and couldn’t do both.  We were a little sad at first, but happy in the end because it ended up being the size we had really wanted all along.  (Also, for what it’s worth, my dad’s family sounds like yours.  He has many siblings and they all have tons of kids.  I think I have about 20 first cousins on that side and they all have kids.  We invited my aunts/uncles but no cousins.)

Post # 10
1783 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

blushingbridelove :  we invited 150 and had 93 guests, 10 of which were kids under 10. Pretty normal for a domestic destination wedding. 

Post # 11
1400 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

blushingbridelove :  this was me 2 months ago. we planned for 125, invited 200, were counting down the “no”s hoping to get under 150….and then we wound up with 90. 90! for a week or so i was super bummed because it felt like we had no friends. but it did save us a bunch of money (about $10k) and on our wedding day – it was perfect. i could’t imagine having a bigger wedding and having to talk to everyone and still have fun (plus doing all the additional crafts, welcome bags, etc). on the day, not once did i think about who WASN’T there – just who was. so enjoy the money savings! you’ll have a great party.

Post # 12
292 posts
Helper bee

Don’t worry about the numbers at all.  Decline rates vary SO much and there are a huge amount of factors that come into play.

We invited 409, has about 265 RSVP yes and I would guess that about 240 actually came. Ours was due in part to being coerced into inviting a lot of family friends/parents co-workers that we don’t really know well, plus us both having incredibly huge families that don’t all live here.  Not every one can or will want to travel, especially for a wedding.

Don’t take it personally and enjoy the budget cushion 🙂

Post # 13
1201 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

blushingbridelove :  We invited 360 and expected 275 (there 30ish people we knew wouldn’t come but sent an invite to be kind). We had 220 rsvp and a few didn’t show up. Our wedding was in May but I know there were a few people that couldn’t come due to a state track meet, high school prom, and graduation. You’re probably right with the vacation thing – and there may be several other weddings during your wedding weekend that could be causing a conflict for some people as well. 

Post # 14
49 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2017

On the other hand for our wedding abroad we invited around 80 people, thinking we’d have around 40 max, and we have 70 coming 😂 So our budget has gone up and not as small as I thought it would be which makes me nervous haha!  

The more people you invite the higher the decline rate defo. Don’t take it personally. Will be amazing to have 150 people sharing your special day 🙂 

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors