- 5 years ago
- Wedding: May 2013
Alright so this weekend thanks to some helpful advice from the Hive I takled my first DIY project from the wedding, making my small round votices into antiqued mercury glass votive….. here is a pic of what they looked like before the transformation
Nice easy simple. They were a gift from my mom who used to do centerpieces for the restaurant she worked at and let me have them to do with as I please. Here is a pic of one before and one after side by side!
Soo excited with how the first one turned out and how easy it was to make! Here is a step by step of how to make any glass mercury glass!!
Items you Will Need:
Glass vase (or really anything you want to antique)
One 8oz can of Krylon Looking Glass spray Pain
One spray bottle filled with half vinegar & half water
A good safe place outside to spray your heart out!
1. make sure you give your glass a good clean before you start the project, I washed all these by hand in the sink with Mr. Xray giving them a very thourough dry!
2. Once all were super clean we took them out in the large tub in my back yard to a table I set up covered with old rags
3. take one of the vases out and give a very light spritzing of the water vinegar mixture (the more oyu put on the more bubbles and peeling look your glass will have)
4. take the spray paint and start very lightly spraying the outside of the glass you will see little bubbles form where the vinegar and water are.
5. then lightly coat the inside once outside is dry enough to touch (care ful of your fingers, my nails are still a METALIC glass silver color from the paint prob should have worn gloves!)
6. Once the paint has set (bout 2 – 5 minutes) take a paper towl and softly pat the bubbles off which will give it the old patinad look.
Violla! you have some great new votives or vases for your wedding or even around your house! Mr. Xray loves them and is already using some around our house cause he loves how they look so much!!
Here are some of the after pics!
Hope you enjoyed my little DIY what do you think ladies?? If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask, I will be selling these after the wedding as well!
Have a great day!!