(Closed) my grandma & FI mother both passed away… rememberance ideas?

posted 7 years ago in Family
Post # 3
4 posts
  • Wedding: May 2011

On my bouquet i have my grandpas name on the ribbon holding all my flowers together.  As well as my fiancees grandpas name. It looks adorable, and when i walk down the aisle I know they will be with me.

Post # 4
8738 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

First off let me say I am very sorry for your loss.

I just lost my nana in October and am so sad she won’t be there in person for our wedding.

As for ideas, for the ceremony you could have a chair for each with a candle or floral display on it. So they have “seats” at the ceremony.

You could also have a photo table at the reception, maybe have your grandmothers wedding photo, as well as your FI’s parent’s wedding photo (or something along those lines).

Post # 6
162 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I have debated honoring those that we have lost at our wedding, so I have given this a lot of thought. Perhaps include something of theirs as the something borrowed / something old? I might be tempted to have a reading, not about death, but something funny they said. Maybe if you ask around, or look through videos, you will find some great advice or funny story they left behind, and include it as a possitive note that their wisdom lives on. My FH had a grandmother which passed and she loved crochet, so I am planning on crocheting a small bouquet holder with some material she had left over to help honor her in our ceremony. Maybe include something that they each really loved, my grandmother loves sea shells, and instead of having a candle, having something that really mattered to them would seem more meaningful to me. I know in some traditions, as part of the ceremony, the couple does something, to show unity. Perhaps (if you own the barnyard) you could plant seeds in their honor of their favorite plants? Or maybe in pots if you don’t. If you don’t need housegifts, you could register with a charity connected to an organization that does research to prevent that type of death, or a charity that is connected to their interests? I heard of a person that lost her daughter, having each guest spread flower petals as they took their seat, perhaps you could pick a mix of flowers to be tossed that were their favorite? Or include a special dance of their favorite song at the reception, with an announcement of “To honor Mrs. (Mother) and (Grandmother), we play this song to celebrate the memories and love they shared with us.” The two of you knew them, and what they cared about, so including something special to them, will help it seem more special to you. I am sorry for your loss, but congratulations.

Post # 7
101 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I did a bouquet charm of my mom (who died when I was 12) — a picture of her on HER wedding day — so that she was with us as my dad walked me down the aisle. I’ve also lost all 4 of my grandparents since, but 5 bouquet charms hardly seemed rational, so I gave them a shout-out in our programs. =)

Post # 8
37 posts
  • Wedding: September 2011

I read about this idea somewhere and thought it was perfect- what I will be doing. BOth of my maternal grandparents and my fiancee’s grandfathers are deceased. I also have a cousin who recently passed. In my bouquet, I plan on having 5 single flowers mixed in with the rest of the flowers (ie five white roses, or five sunflowers, etc). During the ceremony, my officiant will say something to the effect of “the bride carries in her bouquet five_____ flowers, in remeberance of those who have passed”. In addition, I am taking a cross that my grandparents gave me, and string it with peearls and some blue beads to wrap around the stems of my bouquet- “old and blue”- DONE AND DONE!! And a great way for me to feel as though they are there with me on my special day.

The topic ‘my grandma & FI mother both passed away… rememberance ideas?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors