My name is Rachel631, and I am a budgeting failure….

posted 1 year ago in Money
  • poll:
    I like polls : (19 votes)
    32 %
    I had toast for breakfast : (13 votes)
    22 %
    Why is there a poll here? : (16 votes)
    27 %
    Why are we here? : (12 votes)
    20 %
    269 posts
    Helper bee

OH yeah I remember that.  My mother promised to help me with my wedding…..money which she promptly used to install a new heating system in her house because apparently those that would stay at her house….didn’t like the old heating system?  I was pretty lucky being a simple gal with simple tastes but yes, I went over my budget and I’m pretty sure that was the start of my husband losing his hair.  ;D

1817 posts
    Buzzing bee

I was the bride who insisted that I didn’t need to spend over 500 euros on my wedding dress…. 1700 euros later….We managed to keep the rest under 6K which was good going for a wedding with 250 people (thank god it was 15 Euros per head for the food and drink!)

BIL wanted a wedding under 5K because he didn’t see the point of a wedding.  ILs are still 20,000 Euros in debt, trying to pay the damn thing off that’s only their half (I think they took out loans of 30K for the wedding)

The only ones I know who spent less than their budget is my brother, and that is only because after paying their deposits, getting p*&$ed off with interference, cancelling everything and eloping to New York by their tod – MASSIVE money saver! lol!

9143 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

I raised my budget a couple of times as we went through the planning process.  It’s really hard to stick to a budget when things are so out of control.  I found that I had no idea what things cost when it came down to it, and that some of jmy budget was just completely unrealistic, originally  I’m sure you can find ways to get under budget in other areas, or find things to cut out.  A wedding car isn’t necesary – maybe you can borrow a nicer car from a friend, or, just have your own car decked out for a fun getaway!  Save up for a honeymoon and go on your one year anniversary.  There are ways around so you don’t feel like you missed out on all this stuff just because of money!

744 posts
    Busy bee

I thought i could do a wedding under $10k. Boy was I wrong. Budget is now $26k not including honeymoon :(

5518 posts
    Bee Keeper

You are totally not alone.

1411 posts
    Bumble bee

I was a budget bride and managed to keep it under budget….even with the international flights for our DW….which was 25% of our budget. I KNOW how all those little things can add up. I DIY’d our STDs and invites b/c I refused to pay several hundred dollars for invites when only 25% of our guests came to the wedding. 

Married a year and still no HM but I know that will be expensive!  We got quite a bit of cash for the wedding (even from those who didn’t attend) and bought new furniture b/c I didn’t want DH’s bachelor furniture anymore.  

11349 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

We never gave ourselves a budget, but we’re definitely over what we thought we’d spend.

91 posts
    Worker bee

I feel your pain, we are the same. Initailly we thought we’d have a £5000 budget. The venue alone was £7000 (although that includes all the catering and alcohol all day). So then we thought £10,000 was ok. Wrong again. Now we’re up to about £22000 including the honeymoon :( .

It’s not a huge deal I suppose, we’re paying for it all ourselves out of savings, and I’ve been haggling my backside off to get everything as cheap as possible, but we realised that to have the wedding we wanted we’d have to up the budget. Ho Hum. On a positive note I added up the other day how much it should have come to if I hadn’t haggled and bargained our suppliers down and we’ve saved over £15,000 by haggling!!!

5938 posts
    Bee Keeper

I guess you could always cut the guest list – it’s still not until next summer!

I did try to do a wedding for $6k, and it got up to $10k.  I literally wanted to throw up thinking about spending $400 on wildflowers in mason jars that will be tossed after 4 hours!  The wedding was turned into a DW elopement and no more throw up feeling about spending $.

168 posts
    Blushing bee

I went through it with my wedding costs.  I will spare you all the details because I really really….anyway.  I love my hubby.   I wanted to spend 5k and I KNOW we got past that.  The last 48 hours were so stressful because we owed 4k for  various things!  So, at  first I thought that I couldn’t count my darn self.  I would say we did around 10k, i am afraid to count it. 

10728 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper

You are not alone lady! I figured we could do a wedding for 10k initially (I never included dress, rings, honeymoon though). Ummmmm… Try almost tripling that? Now we’re talking.

173 posts
    Blushing bee

Budget??? What’s that? Lol I originally planned to spend 5k buuut after venue and photography that was out the window I think I am still going to be under 10 k but I’m not counting I’m just blending it into regular expenses like just another bill. 

731 posts
    Busy bee

Don’t look at yourself as a failed budgeter. See yourself as a successful spender!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.