(Closed) My poor fur baby is busting our budget!

posted 5 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
Member
2401 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@TheFutureMrsNguyen:  Grr I know your frustration. Our fur baby swallowed a whole chicken wing. He has really bad table manners and just as quick as I jumped up and grabbed his jaw to open it he swallowed it. The vet bills are ridiculous. I’m so sorry. ):

Post # 4
Member
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Dogs cost a frickin FORTUNE!  My dog got sick all summer and we spent about $3000 at the vet figuring it out.  It was about $300-$500 a week.  We didn’t have the money, but what we were supposed to do?  She needed the care.  It can be such a nightmare!

Post # 5
Member
11753 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

unfortunately that kind of thing is part of being a pet owner.  My parents old dog used to have seizures frequently – other than it being pretty scary to watch, there was nothing to be done for them outside of routine care and some medication.  

Post # 6
Member
752 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Hi – I’m sorry you are dealing with unexpected expenses so close to the wedding.  $700 is a lot of money!!  I carry pet insurance on my dogs for the reason that I don’t want to have to shell out serious $$ unexpectedly.  At least I can budget the cost of insurance.

There are many reasons why dogs can have seizures.  I guess I am fairly used to it with my animals.  I give my dogs this test before I ever take them to the emergency vet – If they are eating, drinking, pooping and peeing, then they are fine to wait to go to their regular doctor. 

I’m glad things seem to be going ok with your pup.  Hopefully they can find the cause of the high liver count.

Post # 7
Member
502 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

@TheFutureMrsNguyen:  yea I can feel that pain. My big derp ate sago palm. Three days and over $1,000 later he came home a healthy pup! My FI also had to pay 800 because our pup ate the stuffing out of a toy and needed to clean out his system. Its always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the fur babies!

Post # 9
Member
2295 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I hear ya! I just spent over $350 on my cat, and most of that was on routine stuff (plus he got sick and needed some pain injections, but that was only $90, and he’s all better now).

It was interesting to have a talk with FI about how much we would be willing to spend to help a pet. I wouldn’t spend all my life’s savings or anything, but I would put down some cash depending on quality of life after the treatment. The thing is that it can cost easily $1000 just to get a diagnosis on a problem!

Definitely something that pet owners have to be prepared for. I looked into pet insurance when he got ill, but I don’t think I’m going to do it… just swallow the pill and pay for it if/when something happens.

Post # 10
Member
1765 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Glad she’s home & doing well! And good thing the bill was a little less! I’ve gotten quite used to spending a fortune on our animals. We took in a senior golden retriever a few years ago and she had some big vet bills, and we only had her for a year and a half. Our newest dog has cost us quite a bit already too!

Post # 11
Member
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Awww I feel for you and your lil’ pommy! When I was single over 2 years ago and had just filed bankruptcy, my fur baby got a life-threatening autoimmune disease that caused a $2000+ in vet bills. With no money on hand and no credit cards I was an absolute devastated mess!!! But she is still alive today and that is freaking PRICELESS! Don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have her cute face to come home to everyday.

I don’t know anything about seizures in dogs but I hope she doesn’t get another one! Do you really think it was something bad she could have eaten?

P.S. – don’t you just hate it when they act fine once you get them to the vet or after you’ve had a heart attack yourself and rushed them to your vet?! Those lil’ buggers! But better safe than sorry!

Post # 12
Member
1328 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I feel your pain.  My dogs don’t have the same issue as yours, but we are no strangers to the emergency vet and their high prices.  I’ve become my regular vet’s most annoying patient (at least I assume so) because at every regualr visit I badger her with questions about possible situations and how to tell what actaully requires a trip in and what can be handled at home.

Post # 13
Member
551 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

glad she’s better, it is frustrating that they can’t tell you what is wrong. smaller dogs tend to have seizures, sometimes nerves and sometimes low blood sugar, you might keep an eye on her eating.

Your wedding is a meaninful day to you, but your pet is a lifetime (for him anyways) of unconditional love and fun and laughs, so dont forget that. Maybe eliminate an ordourve or some flowers or favors or something if you need to, everyone will understand and some of these items wont even be missed!   🙂  he is lucky to have such a loving owner and it’s lucky that you had the available funds to give you some peace in taking him in. you just never know. 

we have the same thing, got a new puppy -if it’s not money for the vet, it’s money for the gate, the fence, the toys, the exercise pen, figuring out how to get rid of the sticker bushes growing all over our yard…sigh.

The topic ‘My poor fur baby is busting our budget!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors