- 4 years ago
- Wedding: July 2017
Long time reader, first time poster. Been with my boyfriend for two years in March. He is a fantastic man, perfect for me. We are extremely compatible, he treats me like a queen, very successful in his career, cares deeply about his friends and family and a fantastic listener, to name a few of my favorite things.
We’ve talked about getting engaged starting a few months ago, he knows my ring size, style I like, has mentioned on multiple occasions that it’s happening in 2014. Many of these conversations were started by me but he always gladly discussed.
Let’s just say that in the past few weeks I’ve witnessed dozens of people get engaged and I started feeling a little impatient. After a few too many drinks last weekend I mentioned that everyone at work has been asking when we’re getting engaged and that I was feeling a little frustated I have no idea how long it will be. He smiled and said, “Well it’s certainly happening this year. Actually, we’ll be engaged by your birthday in August”
His next words were the most important and why I’m posting… “Listen babe, this is my thing, I want it to be special. I’ve already got the ball rolling here. You’ll love it, but I want it to be a surprise. And it can’t a surprise if you keep bringing it up.”
So ladies, I’ve vowed to shut it up, to myself, and to all of you until August. This man will be making the biggest purchase of his life and I’m not about to ruin it in any way, shape or form.
I know myself and when I put too much enegery into something out of my control — positive or negative — it consumes me. So, here are a few things I’m going to focus on in the next 7-8 months:
– Enjoying time with my boyfriend and fully supporting his busy schedule. He works A LOT but in a year or two he’ll be looking to switch industries. I’m going to focus on supporting him during his long hours and cherish our time together when I get to see him.
– Traveling! Going to see my girlfriends in LA, NYC, Chicago, AZ.
– Gym time. Making that more of a priority. Drop a few % body fat and get in the best shape of my life.
– Work. Continue to kick butt at my job.
– Friend time. Very blessed to have my girlfriends. Lots of dinners and some fun nights out.
Oh, and probably most importantly, living in the present and enjoying each day. I won’t be getting these back!!
How did all of you deal with your waiting period? What did you do for yourself during that time?