My wedding is October 7, 2017

posted 2 years ago in Traditions
Post # 2
769 posts
Busy bee

Congrats! I would wait until 18-12 months prior to your date. 

Post # 3
537 posts
Busy bee

Finding your venue and ceremony site should begin really no less than a year before your wedding. Sometimes a year and a half may be neccessary depending where you live or are having your wedding.

Planning can begin at any time, especially since you know your year, date, and season which is important. Wedding dresses should be found no later than 8-9 months before your wedding and bridesmaids dresses 6-7 months before your wedding. Some brides have had luck with scrambling for a dress close to their wedding, but the general rule of thumb is 8-9 months to avoid stress and to properly plan for fittings and such. Some brides buy their dress before doing anything else!

As far as buying stuff, such as linens, decor, flowers…I’m not entirely sure. You’ll always want to find your venue and ceremony space first and make sure they’re both available on the same day. Then you want to think about your honeymoon. Make registries for items that you’d like about 6 months before your wedding. You can start buying items whenever you want, really, just make sure you allow enough time for shipping and returns in case you don’t like something or it arrives broken.

Try using this checklist! It’ll help you if you don’t plan on hiring a wedding planner (which tend to be a waste of money, in my opinion). http://www.realsimple.com/weddings/weddings-planning/wedding-planning-checklist

Post # 4
681 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

kwfruitcake:  Can I ask why you chose a date so far away?

Post # 5
1259 posts
Bumble bee

Now is definitely a good time to start planning what your budget will be, the guest list (which you can always adjust), and start researching venues and pinning your little heart out to get an idea of the style of wedding you want and the type of decor, etc you might want 🙂 

I would start actually contacting venues like 1.5 –  2 years out at the earliest if you live in a big city. I found that some places on certain dates were already booked 2 years in advance in the city. If you contact them now, they won’t have their prices for 2017 yet. But on the other hand, you may be able to lock in prices at the current rate. 

Start looking for dresses about a year to 9 months out. Your style or venue could change a lot in that time. I was planning a Jan 2013 wedding and bought my dress in April of 2012. Since then a lot has happened and we had to postpone our wedding and are now doing a DW in May of 2015. So I’ll basically have had my dress for three years by the time I get married, lol. Which is crazy, but it wasn’t exactly planned to happen that way. I still REALLY love it and it will be great for getting married on the beach so I’m not worried. 

Post # 6
2791 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015 - Walnut Hill Bed & Breakfast

i’d start looking and getting an idea of what you want, what you like, how much it might cost.  If you’d dead set on something like a venue on a specific date, I’d book it as soon as you can. I wouldn’t worry about anything else (dresses, flowers, cake) until a year out.

Post # 7
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: November 2015

I agree with the other posters. I would wait AT LEAST until the two year mark. 

Post # 8
2390 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

That day is my mom’s birthday. 

Post # 9
2126 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I’d say start planning at the 2 year mark (so a year from now), especially if you live in a popular area and/or October is a popular time of year where you live!

FI and I will be having a 20 month engagement, and didn’t do anything for the first 3-4 months. I just assumed we had all the time in the world. Well, by the time we started looking at venues, we were shocked at how many places were already booked up! In fact, we fell in love with our venue and they only had TWO dates left in the spring/summer of 2015…and this was 17 months out!

Good luck – waiting even 20 months is feeling like forever (and we still have 7ish months to go).

Post # 10
172 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

I am a July 2017 Bride and I agree with the PPs. We know our venue’s now and our rough budget and guest list but have not put anything in stone yet as it’s too far away. I am focusing on finishing my last 1-1.5 years of University before we put any money down. 

Getting ideas is always fun but make sure you’re not doing it all the time as it can make the wait seem sooooo much longer!

What is the reason you and your FI have decided on a long engagement?

Post # 11
786 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I’m right there with you!  We’re getting married October 17, 2017.  We wanted 10/17 because that is when we started dating and we’re doing a destination wedding so we wanted to give friends and family time to budget and plan as well.  By the time our wedding comes we will have been together for 9 years.. I hate waiting but I also love that we can take our time and we don’t have to talk wedding 24/7 🙂

Post # 12
2821 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2017

kwfruitcake:  August 26, 2017 date here and I am currently in Starbucks planning my wedding! I think now is a great time I found that the places I loved are already fully booked for next year! I live in Massachusetts so there are only so many good Saturdays in a year here.

Plan away girl. Heck, pm me if no one wants to talk about your wedding with you. I know I’m getting the whole you have plenty of time don’t plan now. But dude this girl is so going to plan. The more that is planned then the less stress I will have (at least that’s what I hope)

Post # 13
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2017

I’m doing a July 1 2017 wedding (7117 ;)) I want to plan it all now! But am just taking my time.

we got engaged in May, but once we reached the 2 year mark I started looking at venues (holiday weekend wedding in nj? I know I need to find a place early)

i agree with previous posters that depending on your area start looking about 2 to 1 1/2 years out for the venue especially since you have a set date in mind. Then everything else at your own pace but most things dont need to be done until your a year out.

Post # 14
12 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2017

I just got engaged July 15th and we are planning on 10-7-17 also! 🙂 but it’s not set in stone yet!

Post # 15
7 posts
Newbee

i will be getting married on October 14 2017. We are thinking of doing it in Vegas just the two of us.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors