Post # 1
I found out yesterday that the hotel where we are having our wedding is up for sale. Apparently the family was fighting over profits and a judge ordered them to liquidate the assets (2 hotels, some land, and a mine). The news article said the sale should be completed by May (one side of the family filed an appeal but who knows how that will go). So my worry is that come May some developer will buy it and then what happens? It would great if nothing changed but what if they decided to renovate so it won’t be open for my weddind date, what if they decide to no longer hold weddings there, what if they demolish it (which I doubt since the city would most like deem it a “historical landmark”-since it is one), etc. I’m sure I would get my deposit back but by May most, if not all, of the other good venues in my area would probably be booked for our date. I know I could push it back but I would have already waited over a year and I don’t want to wait any longer. I really don’t want an outside or backyard bbq type wedding (while they are very nice, that’s not the vision for my wedding).
I know the marriage is what’s important and trust me I would marry my FI tomorrow in a court house with jeans and a tee shirt without a problem, but I still want the magical wedding I’ve been planning.
So what should I do? Wait it out and see what happens after the sale? Start looking at other venues (this would cause me to possibly loose money on another deposit to secure the date)? Try to get my deposit back from the hotel since I might get screwed by the sale? Ughhh, what do I do bees? Even just supportive words would be nice to hear right now :
(the hotel wedding coordinator said she “isn’t worrying now” and she’ll definitely contact me if “she starts to worry” but this has provided little comfort for me.)
Post # 3
Ok this is not as bad as you think. Is there anywhere that says you can get your deposit back before May? Did you find a second venue you liked just as much? I would look to find some back ups as a precaution. However, nothing could change since weddings = money and business like that.
Post # 4
I’m sorry this happened, this plains sucks!
There has to be some other venue that you could find in the area. There is still 10 months, that’s plenty of time to find a new location, provided you can get your deposit back. Considering the drama going on with that location, I don’t see how they couldn’t give the deposit back.
Post # 5
@MASPA: I don’t believe we could get the deposit back but I’d have to look over the contract again.
There is a second venue I like that I’ve considered looking into. I will be looking at a few other places online just in case.
The only reason I’m worried about the buyer is because the company who is handling the sale said this, “This unique opportunity offers not only a historic hotel and an oceanfront hotel, but enough land area that has the potential for a really outstanding mixed-use redevelopment”…so it makes me afraid that someone might try to put up apartments or some crap. (although I’m not sure if they meant the land where the historic hotel sits-21.2 acres-or the large timberland land mass the family also owns)
I’m trying not to worry but I can’t help but feel a little anxious
Post # 6
I think you need to contact the venue and see what they are saying to people. In the meantime I hit the ground running and start looking for a plan b and C.
Post # 7
Here’s the article for anyone interested. It’s kind of long but if you skim through it, it might give you a clearer picture of what’s going on.
Post # 9
step one…get out your.contract and read.it with a fine tooth comb -especially any language about cancellations
after that start calling other venues to get idea of date availability, decide if you want to stick w current or change and then.talk to current venue about whay will happen to existing contracts
i would aldo purchase wedding insurance (about $200) asap!!! never hurts to be extra protected
Post # 10
well u have a contract. so if that owner cancels it i would think he would have to either A: give you a full refund or B: carry your wedding over to the new owners. Once you find out who said new owners are i would contact them ASAP and get a NEW contract signed with them. new owners can be a tricky business but you do have 10 months – be thankful this didn’t happen in august!
Post # 11
Get your contract, read through it, and then what I would do is look at other venues, but wait until the new owners come in to play. They will have to give you a refund if the room isn’t ready for your wedding. Once the new owners come in to play at that point I would go in and discuss your wedding with them, and get that in writing. If they say it will be good to go then great. If not, then they should return your money for a full refund.
Post # 12
i will also say even if someone buys hotel in may the chance that they would breakground on a new condo by october is doubtful
most likely thry would finish out 2013 season and then start work after that.
my FI is a corporate architect and buildings like this take years of work…. to have it all done and bulldozers in a few months would be highly unusual
Post # 13
- Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry
Good call on wedding insurance- Wedsafe and Wedsure have decent prices- well worth it for piece of mind.
Agreed that with a May sale, it’s doubtful anything new. would happen by October-plans and permits can take several months just to get through. However, the new owners could decide to do a hotel remodel.
I think at this point, you research your plans B&C, and unfortunately, you may just have to wait it out. When there are new owners, get a new contract with them immediately, as others said.
Post # 14
Not necessarily true. I work for an architecture firm that specializes in hospitality work. When hotels change hands like this, and new owners have work they want done… they almost always want it done immediately. Especially if it’s a renovation that requires very little design work. It’s not unusual for us to start constuction within months of ownship changes (sometimes weeks if you have a really overzealous new owner).
Point being…OP needs a plan B. Hotel employees usually sign confidentiality agreements and won’t give specifics regarding renovation work being done (lest they’ll lose money on event bookings). I’d err on the side of caution and just break the contract.
Post # 15
@LR2012: i dont disagree that there might be some changes (new carpets/wallpaper, open up bar area) but I think the OP is more concerned that they are going to literally knock the whole place down and rebuild ground up. especially since she is dealing w historic registeted property i think that would be unlikely
seems more likely existing hotel will get makeover and undeveloped land will be used for new development
Post # 16
@LR2012: the remodel work is what I’m afraid of. My wedding is in 3 different “rooms” of the hotel and if they are working on any of the rooms, I would be SOL.
@littlemisshostess: the possibility of it getting completely knocked is unlikely like you pointed out, but the renovation work scares me.
Another point is the concern that the new owners might raise the prices or change crucial regulations in regards to weddings. If they raise the prices, that might cause it to be out of my budget and I would have to look for another venue anyways.
So I’m pretty much worried that some jerk or big corporation is going to buy it and cause all sorts of problems for us : (I know, I’m kind of pessemistic)