Name Change & Dual Citizenship

posted 3 months ago in Traditions
Post # 2
1630 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

jbee88 :  I changed my name after I got married and all I had to do to change my name in my brith country was bring translated documents to the consulate (in US) which they in turn took and sent over to my birth country to register in their records and after that was complete I received my foreign marriage certificate basically showing that my birth country has recognized our marriage.

After I received this document back I was then able to change my name on the foreign passport (also at the consulate).

Post # 3
113 posts
Blushing bee

I wish I could offer advice, but I’m in a similar situation.  I’m a European Citizen living in the US (Permanent Resident). A full name change would require a trip to the US Consulate, which is about a 12 hour drive for me. I just got my passport renewed last year so I hate the thought of having to go there again for the name change. I will have to renew my residency in 2018 so I’m thinking about doing it all then and just keeping my maiden name for now (been married almost 6 months now).


Some recommendations I’ve received is NOT to change the name on the foreign documents, but only US documents. I could still change my last name on my driver’s license and social security card and officially use my married name in the US. For foreign travel, I would use my green card and passport with my maiden name. I have no idea if this would cause any issues at any point, but apparently this is a somewhat common practice. 


One thing I would say is to just call your consulate and ask the questions. I did a bunch of research on another issue a while back and got so much conflicting information and speculations, I was about to pull my hair out. I had no idea where to go, which forms I’d need, how the process worked, etc. Then I had the bright idea to call one of the numbers on their website (millennials and phone calls, I swear!!) and they were the nicest, most helpful people and took wonderful care of me. So, just call up your consulate and see what they say.


Also, always travel with a certified copy of your marriage license!! 🙂


Post # 5
1166 posts
Bumble bee

aebe14 :  You should change your information so both passports match, especially if you intend to travel with both passports. In many countries now they’re using the fingerprinting system, so previous accounts of you having entered the country will show on the records. My sister-in-law’s relatives got denied entry when they were traveling to Malaysia because her other passport had the wrong date of birth when she entered the previous time and the passport number didnt match up (I assume it was either the other nationality’s passoprt or of the same country but a previous expired version). Long story short. She wasn’t allowed in the country because she didn’t have/bring the proof that one of the passports was wrong/old/changed.

Post # 6
252 posts
Helper bee

You can change your name on your US documents and leave your birth country as is. You must enter and leave the US on your US passport, so make sure your airline tickets have the correct name to match the passport you are travelling on. I have never had an issue and only changed my name as documents came up for renewal. I still have 4 years left on my birth country passport and that is the last document to be changed. I have never been asked to show both passports at immigration only the one I am travelling under. 

Post # 7
113 posts
Blushing bee

averria :  Oh, absolutely. I agree. Ideally, you should change everything. In many cases it’s just not that simple. To echo aprilblonde :, you can have one name on your US documents and another on your birth country documents. As long as you have an ID with the same name to go with the passport you use for travel, there should not be an issue (I’ve done it many times as well). I feel like an incorrect birth date or possibly using different passports for exit and re-entry into the country may be a separate issue altogether. 

Post # 8
988 posts
Busy bee

If I was in your situation I wouldn’t legally change my name, but use my husbands last name for social purposes only. 

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors