Don’t pay one of the online sites to do it it’s not that difficult. A little annoing yes, but difficult, no.
Once you get your marriage certificate back after the wedding (ours took two full months!!):
1. Start with Social Security. Bring your marriage certificate and a passport or DL with your old name and picture. You can look upoffices in your area on the SS website.
2. Driver’s License. DMV, fill out the form. Bring your old license and your marriage certificate. Once you have poto I.D. with your new name, the rest is pretty easy and I just did things as they came up.
3. Bank info and credit cards. Some require a photo I.D. with your new name so you’ll have to wait until you get your new D.L. or passport.
4. Lease or Mortgage
5. Employer – payroll and direct deposit – esp if you changed bank accounts. Business Cards!! (might want to order new ones before the wedding)
6. INSURANCE!: Home, renters, car, life, medical – any insurance you have change it. Now is a good time to update it all anyway. Make sure everything is covered. Including your ring!!
7. Passport if you are travelling soon – those can take a long time to process
8. Any bills in your name: car, phone, utilities, etc.
9. Email accounts and any other things you have with your name on them – most things are not urgent and you can just change them anytime they come up – doctor visits, etc. More things than you can even imagine will come up, so don’t try to figure it all out. Just deal with each thing if and when it comes up.
Hope that helps. It seems daunting, but just start with SS and DL and it all works itself out from there.