Natural Miscarriage, or D&C? What would you do & why?

posted 6 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: If you knew you did not have a viable pregnancy, how would you handle it, and why?
    I'd wait to miscarry naturally. : (77 votes)
    36 %
    I'd go for the D&C. : (129 votes)
    60 %
    Other. Explanation included. : (8 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 3
    2820 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

If you’re still under 8-ish weeks, you can get RU-486 from Planned Parenthood. That way you avoid surgery, but don’t have to wait around for the natural miscarriage option. Maybe ask your Dr/GYN about that?

Post # 4
    1077 posts
    Bumble bee

If you are nervous about a surgical procedure and miscarrying naturally you may want to consider RU 486. It would take away some of the unpredictability around a non-surgical route.

Oops, Jenniphyr beat me to it!

Post # 5
    3772 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

Wait! the doc told my mom when she miscarried my twin early in her pregnancy that I would most likely not survive… and here I am today! I wouldn’t be able to do that without 100% certainty that the pregnancy is not viable. 

PS is there a heartbeat?

Post # 9
    1077 posts
    Bumble bee

@StealthyBee:  That’s odd, I know sometimes when an office has people with different beliefs on the subject they compromise on it somehow. Maybe that’s why they don’t do it. I would call around to other OB/GYN’s and explain the situation if you’re interested in that method.

I appreciate the wait and see attitude, but for many miscarriages are very difficult emotionally. My own mother went through several and she always says that she wished she could have just gotten them done faster because it’s so stressful to wait for something when the outlook is bleak.

Post # 10
    3772 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: October 2012

@StealthyBee:  🙁 I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I’m not to familiar with much so my answer might be a bit on the uneducated side but I would wait a bit longer. Like I said before. I would have a hard time not knowing 100% I like to err on the side of caution. I apologize if I offended you. 

Post # 11
    1482 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

I would personally rather just go and get it over with.Waiting only prolongs the torture of an already difficult situation.

I’m so sorry about all that you’ve been going through lately. I know it’s been really rough for you, and I just want you to know that you’re in my thoughts.

Post # 12
    1830 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

First of all, I’m so sorry you are going through this – it’s an awful decision to make and my heart goes out to you.

I found out at 5.5 weeks pregnant that we had a blighted ovum (empty sac) pregnancy and it was obviously not viable.  For the two weeks preceding this, I had been having horrible cramping – to the point where I even went to the ER because the pain was so bad.  It was at my ER visit that they discovered the empty sac and discussed next steps to take.  I was given the options of wait for it to pass naturally, have a D&C, or take the RU-486 pill.   After reading through the options, I decided to go with the D&C for the following reasons:

1.  I did not want to prolong the physical pain any longer and a D&C was definitely the least painful option of the three.

2.  I knew this pregnancy wasn’t going to happen and I just wanted to close the book on it, not drag it out any longer – hence the decision to cross waiting for it to happen naturally off our list.

3.  The pill sounded awful – it takes a good 12 hours or so to work and then apparently you have some awful cramping for several hours afterwards.  And there is a risk that not everything comes out so you may still need a D&C anyway.  After all the pain I’d been through, I didn’t want to subject myself to all of that.

4.  The D&C sounded so easy – a ten minute procedure, possibly some spotting and light cramping afterwards, but the reassurance that everything has been taken care of.

I can only say from my experience, but I am so glad I went with the D&C.  It was a very simple procedure – they knocked me out and it was over in a flash.  I had no bleeding or cramping afterwards, even though I’d been told to expect that, and I felt completely normal again as soon as it was over.  It also helped me to move on a lot quicker and whilst I was sad it didn’t work out, I didn’t have the agonizing heartbreak of having to see what had passed or wait for it to go through a long drawn out process.  

Also, the risks are quite minimal and I had no trouble getting pregnant again as soon as we started trying again.   Good luck to you whatever you choose.

Post # 14
    2820 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

@StealthyBee:  *HUGS* I would suggest that you call PP & make sure you’ll be elligible for the pill method, because yeah, going through a line of protesters (if that is what it’s like in your area) would suck. : ( Definitely take DH with you for support!

Post # 15
    1101 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

Fi’s cousin was scheduled for a D & C bc the dr could not find a heartbeat. She got a gut instinct to get a second opinion and thank God she did, the baby was there and alive! Now she has a beautiful 1 year old. This isn’t always the case, but like @Woodstock:  you never know! 

I will pray for you and send hugs your way during this time. 

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors