- 6 years ago
I’ve been away from WB for too long! I’ve been happily married for 2 years. DH and I bought our first house. I started a new job. Changes, changes.
Anyway, I really need some solid advice. No sugar-coating.
Here’s the scenario: I’ve been at my current job (graphic designer for a real estate firm) for 18 months, and I want OUT. The work environment is toxic, and I’ve already been told by HR that I’ve hit the glass ceiling, and that I should start looking for another job because “people with ambition”, like me, do not belong. I’ve been on the hunt for a new job for a few months, but my heart isn’t in it. I think I’m so burnt out that I just can’t imagine starting another design job.
I’m interested in self-employment for a few reasons:
– My husband is hoping to start a PhD program in the Fall of 2013, and it may mean that we’ll need to move. I want to be very flexible for that. Also, since his PhD stipend would be a fraction of his current salary, I need to maximize my income at the same time.
– I am very independent, and can successfully manage my own schedule and stay focused
– When we do decide to have kids, I want to be able to raise them myself, without having to leave a job
– I’m an artist, and I really want more time to work on my side projects
I have been thinking hard about going into the dog walking/pet sitting business. I love animals and I am great at handling and taking care of them. All the research I’ve done on the topic has turned up very optimistic results, and the skeptic in me is having all sorts of doubts about whether or not I could actually make this work and be successful. I also don’t know the first thing about starting a business.
So, if any of you fine bees could give me advice related to the following, it would be awesome:
1. Do I sound like I’m nuts, or could this actually work?
2. Have any of you been in a similar situation to mine, and managed to become successfully self employed/work from home?
3. What books/resources are the most helpful?
4. Should I get a job at an existing dog walking/pet sitting company so that I can a) quit my current job and b) get some experience and learn the business? I am so unhappy where I am, and I want to leave, like, NOW. But we CANNOT afford to lose my salary entirely, and we have very modest savings (ie, I’ll need another form of income immediately).
PLEASE HELP ME.
Thank you. 🙂