Need comparison of a 1.25 ct black diamond vs a 1.25 ct white diamond. pics plea

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
932 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I had a black diamond ring and it was 3/4 carat, personally I think they face up a little smaller because they don’t have as much sparkle.  None the less, I thought it was quite beautiful.

Post # 4
1108 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Aside from color, if they’re the same size, how else would you expect them to differ? Cut, yes.  Obviously, they wouldn’t compare in clarity.  So, not quite sure what you’re after?

Post # 5
1517 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2012

I presume you must mean the average size, since the cut of the stone (good/very good/excellent) would have to play a part in the overall look of the stone.

Post # 6
385 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@carmensita1:  it would look like your picture… only clear… im confused 

Post # 7
592 posts
Busy bee

Two things. 

1) Cut of the stone. Sometimes black diamonds aren’t cut as well since light isn’t a premium. A bad cut can make a diamond too deep and smaller face up.

2) Color. White reflects like, black absorbs. So even if you had two identically cut stones, one black and one white, the white would probably look ever so slightly larger. You see this with diamonds and colored stones of any kind. They’re the same mm face up but the diamond still looks bigger even by all physical standards it’s not. 

Also keep in mind about shapes that tend to face up smaller,  such as princess or radiant, sometimes oval. 

Post # 8
5483 posts
Bee Keeper

Black stones look smaller for sure. Here is a 2 ct. Round in a halo. To me it looks like a 1.5 ct. White diamond!

Post # 11
5483 posts
Bee Keeper

@carmensita1:  thanks! Love the set you picked!

Post # 12
409 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

@creeative1:  

@carmensita1:  

@womanofsubstance:  

@Makemeamrs:  

@southsun:  

Black diamonds actually look smaller because carat weight is measured by the actual weight of the diamond and black diamonds are denser than clear ones. Therefore, a black Diamond weighing as much as a clear one will look less. 

I Googled it as I was curious to know why. 

Post # 14
2262 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2007

Not the sizes you are looking for, but it may help a bit. This is a 1/2 carat black diamond and a 1/4 carat white diamond, and they look nearly the same size! 

Post # 15
296 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

My center diamond is 1.25

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors