Post # 1
Not feeling the wedding planning tonight, so I thought I’d look into our honeymoon options. I’d love to get some ideas from those of you out there about what might be good for us. Honeymoon will be in March 2011. Here are our preferences:
1) $3,000 or less for both of us (including excursions/food/etc)
2) Ability to stay comfortably (I.e. i’d rather go to a less exciting place and have nicer amenities rather than an awesome place and stay in a barn)
3) something beachy and preferably not continental USA
4) Lots of activities/excursions to do (FI gets bored laying on the beach all day every day)
5) Interesting area (either culturally or nature-wise)… we DO want to leave the resort and have fun.
6) preferably some place not in poverty (for example, I’ve heard from a few people that Jamaica was kind of ruined for them by all of the poverty right outside the resorts and how sad that was).
We just did Mexico in October (and got engaged!) so I’d rather not go back there… but other than that we’re pretty open to suggestions! We do have a few ideas but I don’t want to influence suggestions!
p.s. probably not a cruise because i have terrible motion sickness!
Post # 3
*bump* for the morning crowd…. 🙂
Post # 4
- Wedding: June 2010 - Tannery Pond at the Darrow School
Sounds like the Virgin Islands would be a good fit! I love Virgin Gorda, Tortola and St John, personally (although I would avoid St Thomas bc it’s the biggest and most developed in the area.)
Curacao is also supposed to be a little bit under the radar but unbelievable, that might be worth looking into as well…
Another idea would be Belieze or Costa Rica, I’m pretty sure you could a honeymoon in either of those two places within your budget and they both have beaches, jungles and everything in between!
Post # 5
Punta Cana may be a good fit. There are some great all inclusives, and the beaches are very nice.
Post # 6
@trailmix- thanks for the ideas! i have looked into belize but i think its too pricey. VI or curacao might be good to look into though! costa rica is actually a definite possibility… but i’m still in the “find as many places to research and consider as possible” faze 🙂
@bliss honeymoons- I’ll look into that. The reason I initially crossed punta cana off the list is bc I feel like i know a TON of people who go there and i wanted something slightly different… but it might be worth a look
Post # 7
Eh, you won’t enjoy Punta Cana. The excursions aren’t so great down there and going “Into town” will take you 4 hours. Darling Husband got food poisoning down there–the travel agent said they have issues flying in food and keeping it fresh (warm milk+yogurt, uncooked eggs)
Also we took a horseback trip around the island and it is poor and dirty and disgusting. It’s not what you’ll want if the whole economy of Jamaica threw you off.
Corgi, if you’re interested in photos from my Honeymoon, i can hook you up.
But yeah….i wish we’d done something more exotic for our Honeymoon. Punta Cana is overrated IMO
Post # 8
Also Bonaire is a cool place I heard. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g147267-Bonaire-Vacations.html
It’s eco protected, very jungle-y and a friend of mine really loved it. It’s not a very touristy place either. Apparently they have AMAZING snorkeling. They collect exotic fishes at home and do underwater photography and their photos were mind blowing.
Post # 9
Post # 10
we can’t make a darn decision at all regarding the honeymoon..we change it weekly. but since we’re getting married around the same time..hopefully this will help:
1. costa rica (duh, i think costa rica is awesome since we got engaged there..we are still considering going back for our honeymoon). we stayed in Jaco and explored the area surrounding it. we stayed in a condo, but next time, we want to stay at villa caletas for a few nights.
2. ambergris caye in belize is wonderful.
3. panama – we are looking into bocas del toro at La Coralina. VERY reasonably priced place.
4. honduras – if you can leave on a sunday, you can get an easy flight in. this WAS our first choice but we can’t leave until monday, so getting in is a royal pain. we looked at roatan at Infinity Bay Hotel.
5. curacao – we are looking at lodge kura hulanda, which will cost more than $3k for a week, but you can get decent deals on the place.
that’s pretty much what we are looking at, along with a place in mexico 🙂
Post # 11
I agree, Costa Rica is a great choice!! I’m thinking of going too – there is so much to do my Fiance def won’t get bored as he usually does when we go to the beach. He really wants to go white water rafting and ziplining. We’re thinking about staying in Arenal to do the activities then hitting the beach in Guanacaste. I’ve been looking at an itinerary with Vacation Express and checking out a few hotels and I think we can do it for our budget (around $2750).
Post # 12
I’m with trailmix on the Virgin Islands. I heart them so much. Infact, I’m still sad I’m not going there for my honeymoon. It was one of our top contenders and I found a TON and I mean a TON of fantastic deals on vrbo. When I went to the V.I. (stayed on St. Thomas) I took a day cruise to the British Islands, played around on St. John, shopped in Charolotte Amalie…was there for 10 days and definitely did not get bored. If anything, I came back exhausted b/c I did too much. lol
As for another honeymoon idea, Darling Husband and I are going to Sandals Royal Bahamian. We’ve never done an all-inclusive before and also wanted to go somewhere neither of us had been. We liked the idea of all the watersports that came in the package…which kind of sucks for me because I’m TERRIFIED of water, but will be drug out into the water by the hubs to try the windsurfing, snorkeling, etc. uggggg…..