Post # 1
This is my first time posting, but I have been creeping this site since I got engaged for tips and ideas. I love it!
Anyways, I need your advice. My Fiance and I have been engaged for about 2 and a half month. We wanted to get married this summer and thought a short engagement (of 6 and a half months) seemed like it was doable. Well, now that we are about 4 months away from the actual date, I’ve started to freak out a little bit. I can’t decide on things, I’m having a hard time finding anything I love, and I feel like I wont get this planning done in time . All I have so far is a place for the reception and a dress, although I have the ceremony site, photographer and videographer on hold and just need to put down my deposit. I have not sent out invites or even save the dates.
There’s a few other factors besides planning: my FI’s best friend cannot make the wedding this summer, I feel awful for our out of town guests as they don’t have much time to plan to come to our wedding and a lot will not be coming, and although we have a good budget we can save much more money in a year.
So tell me bees: should I postpone my engagement until next summer so I can take my time planning, enjoy my engagement, and be able to alleviate my stress a little bit? OR should we just bite the bullet and stick to the original plan because it’s still doable??
Post # 3
Will you lose a deposit for the reception venue if you postpone?( if you made a deposit) or will they credit it to your new date?
Post # 4
I would definitely talk to your reception site. We pushed our date back for the same reason and am SOOOOOOOO glad we did… b/c the original date wouldv’e killed us… or prompted us to kill each other/some one else lol
We we’re able to “move” our deposit to our new date so there weren’t any issues.
Also, everyone that already knew the original date were understanding and didn’t really make any kind of fuss about it.
So check with your site and see what your situation is there… if there isn’t any issue then I would push it back (i’m also biased to this decision given that’s what we did) if you loose your deposit then you and your Fiance should look at your budget to see if that works for ya’ll
Post # 5
@julies1949: We haven’t inquired yet, but I believe they move our deposit to whatever date we choose.
I’m just really torn because I always wanted a short engagement, and now I feel like somewhat of a failure…
Also, our parents really want us to have it this summer because they feel like “it’s time” as he’s 33 and I’m 30. But hey, isn’t 30 the new 20?!
Post # 6
If it were me, and I wasn’t going to lose any money, I’d postpone. We had a long, almost 2 years, engagement, and it made things very stress free because I wasn’t rushing to get everything done. And a year is a lot of time to save up more money, and buy things little by little so it doesn’t hurt that bad financially.
Post # 7
I got engaged in Feb. 2010 and originally wanted to get married in June 2010 but we felt like that wasn’t enough notice for our guests. So we decided on June 2011 and it felt so far away, but now it is almost here! It gave us more time to save money and research vendors! Time does go by really fast! I would talk to your family and see their thoughts and see if its possible to move your date with your vendors.