- 9 years ago
- Wedding: November 1999
I have to warn you this is long, but I’m wondering if I can get advice from those who are so great giving it…
I applied for two city jobs, in the city where we are going to buy a home, and I’ve made it to the interview part for both. It’s a pretty big deal because a LARGE number of people applied to both jobs, then about 150 got to move on to the testing part (myself included), and now I’m not sure how many are left, but a select few are being offered interviews. These jobs are both basically secretary positions. I’m sure I would be great at either job because I was an office monkey for 8 years before starting my current job. While there I got several promotions and was very respected. I was sad to do it, but I left because I was fed up with how management treated their employees.
Now, I’m a K-5 afterschool teacher and I really enjoy my job working with kids. It’s what I went to school to do, my BA is in Child & Adolescent Development. I was sure at one time that I didn’t want to actually get my credential to be a regular elementary school teacher, so I’ve just been where I am trying to figure it out.
It’s been almost a year since I graduated, so it’s kind of time for me to figure out what to do with myself because the part time job I know have is making is so that we can only look in a certain price range for homes. With a horrible director who doesn’t listen to us, and a boss who won’t give us enough hours to do our work, it makes me want to leave, but on the other hand I’m not positive I’m ready to leave my kids because of 2 bad people.
Now back to the interviews I have scheduled…I’m not sure if I should even go to them, or if I should withdraw and let someone else who really wants the jobs have them.
Sorry for the rambling, but here’s my ultimate dilemma…do I go for a full time job where I would get paid very well, or stay where I’m at now and go back to school to get my multiple subject credential to teach K-5 (it will take over a year & after all that still not pay that well)?
Our plan is to have kids in about 3 years, 4 at the maximum (if all works like we hope it will), so I’m wondering if I should go with the new job because I would only do it for a few years since I plan on being a stay at home mom. The extra money would allow us to buy a more expensive house, not to mention the furniture for it. But, I’m not sure how happy I would be sitting in a cubicle all day and feel like in a way it does use some skils I already have, but would waste all I went to school for. Or, I could continue what I’m doing because I get to move around, be outside, and be with kids since they are my passion and possibly go the credential route. The problem is, we are having trouble finding a house and the job I’m at doesn’t pay all that well, which just makes finding a house that much harder. One last option would be to stay where I’m at until I could find some other type of job that would better utilize my degree.
I’m truly torn, I’ve been struggling with this decision for a bit now, and I could really use all your pearls of wisdom (and hopefully soon because one interview is on Wednesday morning)! Thanks everyone!