(Closed) New to board… $3000 wedding goal! No support!

posted 6 years ago in Money
Post # 4
989 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think it’s an awesome goal and I hope you make it!  One question – why are you discussing your budget with so many people?  That’s the one wedding-related detail that we’re not sharing with anybody.  I say, just do your thing, have the wedding of your dreams, and leave everyone out of your budget.

Post # 5
1725 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

You can certainly do it if you have that goal in mind and look for deals/friendors/etc! Go for it! Nothing wrong with wanting to save money

Post # 6
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

I just got engaged yesterday and like you will probably have to wait a little while for a ring! $3000 is totally do-able, that’s my goal too (though since mine will be 50% destination is might be more unless I have help)

Check out: 2000dollarwedding.com/

Post # 7
4194 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

This can be done- two things that could wreck havoc with your budget- catering and the guest list. 

If your venue doesn’t have a kitchen, you need to find a caterer that can cook on site. (Since you want quality, I would be concerned about caterers who cook and bring in on warming trucks) So sit down plated dinner might be out.

But- that depends on your guest list. Are you inviting 50 people or 150? To keep your guest list under control, I advise figuring out the number- let’s say 100. That’s 25 people each for you and Fiance, 25 for each of your families. Or split 50/50. Either way- no, people are not allowed to over invite, and you have to be FIRM on this.

I also agree with sportsgal31- keep your budget/costs to you and FI- no one else’s business (unless someone is contributing, then it’s ok to share some of the cost info)

Post # 8
104 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Oh for sure, you can definitely do that if you keep the guest list small & hunt for deals.

Post # 9
1544 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Its possible but it depends on what you are and arent’ willing to give up… IE… are you serving alcohol, do you want a full meal or just appetizers only, how many people are you having, dj or ipod?, Wedding night hotel room, transportation, rings, honeymoon, etc., all things that sent my 5k budget soaring. now i’m just hoping to do it for under 10.

For us we couldn’t budge on alcohol or a full meal, So for us its gonna be atleast 2k for just food and drinks.  guest list was already at 80 and as low as we could go since we both have big families. Wheres the ceremony going to be – is there a fee or a donation you have to make to the church. In a 3k dollar budget – theres no such thing as “only” – every penny counts because everything adds up. Be careful to carefull account for every little cost.

Its definitely do able but it takes giving up on things, and a lot of time and discipline. We’re all here if you need any ideas! Good luck!

Post # 10
637 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

If you keep the guest list small, I think it’s doable. 

And since you are on a tight budget, I highly recommend draw a list of things you absolutely cannot cut.  (For instance, venue and catering.)Then find out the budget for those things, then you will know what’s left for other things you need to spend on.

Good luck!

Post # 11
11273 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@hiswife2b:  i think your budget can work.  2 questions:  how many guests are you having and where do you live?  these will always affect the budget.  i know that certain areas are much more expensive for catering, etc. 

Post # 14
195 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

You can definitely do a wedding for $3,000 or less!  You just need to have realistic expecations and understand that you can’t invite everyone under the sun to your reception.

If you’re not averse to doing so, you can try on dresses at a salon and then order the dress you want online.  That’s what I did with my dress and I ended up getting the dress of my dreams for $132.  I found a tailor to do the alterations I wanted for $60.  That still kept my dress & veil under $200 ($192 total).

If you don’t want a church wedding, having your ceremony in the same venue as the reception will save the cost of paying for the church & transportation to the reception. Check with local hotels to see if they have wedding buffet packages.  We’re having our ceremony & reception at a well-known hotel in our town.  By opting for a cash bar, instead of open bar and cutting out the hors d’oeuvres, we were able to knock $22 per person off the price.  So, for 50 guests, we’re having our ceremony & reception for under $2,400.  We have a friend who is a professional photographer doing the photos as a gift to us.  Another friend is a DJ who is also gifting his DJ services for our day.

Do lots of research and NEGOTIATE everything!  Remember, the “W” word jacks up the price on everything!

I called a bakery about our wedding cake and they quoted me $350 and up.  I called back a few weeks later and asked for a cake for an event to feed 50 people and it was only $71.  Like I said, the “W” word inflates the price.  We didn’t care about having white frosting & an elaborate cake.  We wanted a YUMMY cake 🙂

You’ve got a lot of time to plan & negotiate, so lots of luck to you.  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!!

Only 3 months & 20 days to go….(but who’s counting?) Laughing

Post # 15
6124 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I love this wedding !

$2795 minus the photobooth!

When it comes to wedding details, I found it’s best to not share every detail – because they don’t have to know, then they cannot comment, and stuff changes!

Post # 16
2693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

You can definitly have a $3000 dollar wedding.  That is my budget.  And I have a 150 person guest.  I found the hall for less than $450 for 4 hours.  Dress for $220 with alterations.  Photographer for $220. Florist for $250.  DIY veil, garter and ring pillow for less than $5 total.  DIY card box.  DIY table signs and numbers.  Caterer for around $1000 or so (I meet with him this week to discuss specifics).

We might increase the budget since now we’re looking at adding some alcohol (more than just beer), and a DJ (we had his cousin but since he is also in the wedding, that’s a no go.)  I also might add transportation (not a limo though).

We might be saving money though… we might change the ceremony from our backyard to a church, which means I won’t have to rent chairs.  And I won’t have to spend extra money on decorations for the cocktail hour.  So it’ll all work out.

My budget does not include the honeymoon.  But it can be done.

The topic ‘New to board… $3000 wedding goal! No support!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors