(Closed) Non church -ceremony & reception in one spot, share your timelines?

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
177 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I have a similar set up! My wedding and reception is all in one spot at a nin-church venue! My ceremony will also be about half and hour–starting at 6:30. However, I plan on doing photos before hand and I’m not having a receiving line, so we are going right to the big show! After people file in and fill up their plates with heavy hors devours, we will be announced. I’m hoping this will be at about 7 to 7:30pm. We’ll go right to cutting the cake so the older guests/guests with little kids can get their fill and skip out. We’ll hit up the first dance next and then we plan to party it up! I’m not sure when exactly we’ll fit in the bouquet/garter toss and the toasts (we aren’t having a lot of those, though). We aren’t having a sit down meal, so the only truly scheduled event is our exit at around 10:45! 

The reason we’re running head long into our reception is partially selfish (we love entertaining people!) and also due to my fear of people having to “wait.” I’ve just heard a lot of negative things about waiting on these boards, actually. If you look up people’s “worst wedding experiences” on here, a lot of them complain about waiting! So, I’m just gonna nip that in the bud and get the party on its feet ASAP! =)

Post # 5
10218 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2010

For me:

10-10:30 wedding

After we are pronounced bubbles should be blown

10:30-11 pictures downtown/no before shots

10:30 guests can begin to eat

11 enter reception

11:05 first dance

11:10 mother/son father/ daughter

11:15 we eat yummy lol

11:40 we cut cake

11:45 cake pulls

12:05 kids bouquet and garter toss

12:30 bouquet toss

12:40 possible garter toss

1:15 grand exit with kids hopefully on horse and carriage

1:30 bring kids back to grandparents and true exit

2:00 reception over

The only thing missing is the money dance which many guests in Louisiana perform but none in TN. I am definitely not sure if we will do that.

Post # 6
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

All in one place like all in one room?

I went to one wedding (outdoors) where the ceremony was about twenty feet from the reception, and at the end of the ceremony, we all picked up our chairs and carried them to the tables and that was that.

I went to another (in a barn) where the ceremony was upstairs (in a loft) and the reception was downstairs, so they did a recieving line at the bottom of the stairs and released everyone row by row to go down and find your table.

Ours was all on the same college campus five minute drive or ten minute walk from ceremony to reception, so ran the following schedule:

5pm – ceremony starts (actually started at 5:03, and yes we had late comers sneaking in between bridesmaids, haha)

5:25/5:30 – ceremony ends, recieving line in the hallway just outside the back of the chapel

6pm – reception officially starts, but they were serving drinks at tables and music was going by the time the first guests made their way over

6:15 – bridal party enters the reception

It flowed really nicely, no hangups 🙂

Post # 7
6572 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2010

3:00 pictures

4:00 ketubah ceremony

4:30 ceremony

5:00 cocktail hour/more pictures

6:30 dinner

We had a long time between cocktail hour and dinner b/c not everyone was invited to the ceremony so I didn’t want them to come early and crash it. It was good to have all of that time anyway b/c we took all of that time for pictures. We were done with 5 minutes left for the cocktail hour, where we sat in a corner and had someone bring us some food.

Post # 8
365 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

Mine is still a very rough outline of the day:

8:00 Bride- wake up, check list…makeup, travel bag, etc.

9:00 Groom, just get yourself ready. RING!

9:45 Bridesmaids arrive at bride’s parents house for hair and make-up

12:00 Lunch break

2:00 Hair & Make-up done

2:30 Be at Devil’s Ridge for Photos

4:00 DJ onsite for setup and Prelude music

4:00 Guests start arriving

4:20 Bridal Party lines up for processional

4:25 Processional Starts

4:30 Ceremony Begins

4:30 Photobooth sets up in reception

5:00 Group Picture (everyone who is attending the wedding)

5:10 Cocktail Hour Begins

5:10 Pictures of Bridal Party on the links

6:10 Bridal Party Entrance

6:20 Dinner

7:00 First Dance

7:05 Father/Daughter Dance

7:10 Bridal Party dance

7:30 Cut the cake (Might be moved to somewhere else)

*Then it’s party time until midnight.

Post # 12
365 posts
Helper bee

RingPup

I forgot to finish editing the times when I adjusted something in the morning. It is def. a rough draft LOL.

Post # 13
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

6-6:30 ceremony

6:30-7:30 cocktail hour

7:30 move to reception area

7:35 toasts

7:45 first dance

7:50 dinner

8:30 cut cake

8:50 hora/dance floor open

11:00 wedding ends

Post # 14
459 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

My timeline was pretty simple, but here it is:

3:00: photographer arrives, getting ready pictures and portraits

5:30-6: ceremony

6-7: cocktail hour

7-8:45: dinner

8:45-9: toasts

9-11: dancing

I think the waiting is fine since you will have food/drink available. I think waiting is fine without food/drink, as long as there is something there for the guests to do.

Post # 15
1068 posts
Bumble bee

Love this thread!

1pm: first look off location

3:30 – ceremony starts

4:00 – cocktail hour, more pictures outside of venue, with family

5:00 – reception seated, dinner to start soon after

6:00 – toasts, first dance, cake cutting

10:00 – reception end (It’s a sunday!)

The topic ‘Non church -ceremony & reception in one spot, share your timelines?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors