(Closed) Not sure what to do.. makeup/hair trial has been postponed twice now

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
Member
5892 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

i would suggest shopping around.  i’d politely ask that in lieu of her canceling twice (and i assume the contract says something about her providing the trial), you’d like your deposit back.  if she refuses, which she probably will, i just suggest forfeiting the $50.  she’s definitely proven herself to be flaky, so even if she does show up, she could be late and throw off yoru whole schedule.  better to get out now relatively unscathed.

Post # 4
Member
5892 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2012

i would suggest shopping around.  i’d politely ask that in lieu of her canceling twice (and i assume the contract says something about her providing the trial), you’d like your deposit back.  if she refuses, which she probably will, i just suggest forfeiting the $50.  she’s definitely proven herself to be flaky, so even if she does show up, she could be late and throw off yoru whole schedule.  better to get out now relatively unscathed.

Post # 6
Member
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Many of the things that you mention that are up in the air (how much of the total you’re to pay at the trial vs. the wedding day, what happens if she cancels, etc.) should have been in the original contract.  If you’re stuck on the idea of keeping her, ask her these questions and get her to put them in writing.

If the idea of so many cancellations still makes you nervous, then I’d do like @Ms. Meowerson and cancel your contract.  I probably wouldn’t be so quick to let go of my deposit though — while peace of mind is totally worth $50, the fact of the matter is she hasn’t acted in a professional manner, and therefore I’d push a little harder to have it returned.

Post # 7
Member
383 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

*Sorry, I posted before I saw your response that you’d rather not cancel.  In that case, be aggressive in doing another trial (and confirm right beforehand), and get all of those niggling details in writing!

Post # 8
Member
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

or just not pay her until the wedding day after shes finished your hair/makeup???

Post # 9
Member
837 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

In my experience you never pay the full amount up front – especially to make-up artists and vendors like this.  If you pay up front, you have zero bargaining power if they don’t do what you ask or they give you poor service.  My advice is to not pay her up front.

And you said you don’t want to shop around for someone else because you want airbrushing but then you said you may just do it yourself – if you’re willing to do it yourself with no airbrushing then I would shop around for someone to do normal make-up.  Less stress for you on the wedding day!  Good luck!

Post # 11
Member
86 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@EmEv: Glad you worked things out for another make-up and hair trial, but don’t be so polite about the trial cost and the contract! I’m pretty chill too, but I think with the two cancellations, you have some bargaining power for the cost of the trial. You also wouldn’t want to be unpleasantly surprised with a bill bigger than you expected. And yes, you should get a copy of the fully-signed contract from her at the trail. My MUA said she would fax it to me, but I was chill and said i’d get it at the make-up/hair trial.

Post # 12
Member
1465 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Find someone else asap who is much more professional. There is no excuse for that type of thing.

The topic ‘Not sure what to do.. makeup/hair trial has been postponed twice now’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors