(Closed) Novice (but very good) photog+ wants us to come up with what to pay her; $850?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
Post # 3
1074 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

Try thinking of it in terms of hourly wage. The minimum wage is what now? 7-something (in PA at least)?  If she’s going to be there morning thru the end of the reception (let’s say 8am-10pm), that’s 14 hours, plus time for travel (6 hours? just throwing out numbers here), editing photos (10 hours? I don’t know)… that’s 20 hours. So 850/20 = ~$42/hr

I  know these are made up numbers, but might help you to wrap your head around it a bit… Good luck! 

Post # 4
941 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

it’s always tough to guage a service when you don’t have experience with the profession. with this sort of thing, the best thing you can do is to compare other photographers around your area for the same amount of work. if you break down the traveling costs, the time consumption for the initial trip to gather information, the entire day’s worth of photography, the cost of materials, possibly the time she’s taking off work (if she has another job, which i’m assuming she does), the time it takes to edit the large amount of photos for the wedding (hundreds) AND pay her assistant…$850 isn’t a lot of money. here in detroit, we are paying $1800 for our photographer with a very basic package and we are also taking care of transportation and accomodations, and that’s cheap for detroit with our low economy!

i say at least $1000. 

Post # 5
4123 posts
Honey bee

14 hr day is easily over 40-60 hrs of back work just in editing. She will need to pay her assistant. EAT which in NY isn’t always cheap, get to NY, get ready for the day, wear and tear on her car, cost of gas… etc….

@JennHasFeet: said it well. I think $850 is too cheap. I second that it should be at least $1000.

Post # 6
3295 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

they will be in MD not NY. i think that is reasonable… i am paying 800 for my pictures, a full day and the edited cd.  and considering she is your friend and you are providing accomodations for the two of them. i think thats fine:)

Post # 7
262 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

i would say thats good, we are paying a complete stranger just over 1000 for seven hours. Considering you are also paying for travel, your figure seems right on track.

Post # 8
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Yeah I’d say 850 to 1000.  Editing normally takes about 40 hours….

Post # 9
2767 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

Yeah I’d say 850 to 1000.  Editing normally takes about 40 hours….

Post # 10
3176 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I agree with the 1000.00 or even maybe 1500.00. 850.00 just seems like not a lot :/

Plus most often if you hire a photog from out of the area you are required to pay for their accomodations so I don’t think that should be in your mind as an excuse to not pay her more.

Post # 11
264 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Granted location changes prices but I’m paying my photographer (who is a professional but works only part time) $750 for a full day (9am – roughly 6pm), all photos will be given to us on a disc (about 300 edited) AND with FULL printing rights. This guy is a stranger to us and given that you are paying for food/accommodations for two people, I would say that $850 is a steal. My photog told me that while editing takes a lot of hours, it actually doesn’t cost that much to do. 

Post # 12
493 posts
Helper bee

I think 850 is totally acceptable for a young novice photographer, especially if you’re taking care of the accommodations.

Post # 13
4123 posts
Honey bee

@Purquez2011: Time = money. The “overhead” of editing is low, but it’s a very tedious time intensive process… He’ll learn that soon enough, or he won’t be in business long.

Post # 14
4547 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I think $850 is a very generous offer! My FSIL had her pictures done by a novice photographer and she paid $800 for: engagement session, unlimited hours on the wedding day, full rights to all her proofs and a DVD of the pictures, 2 parent albums, and a wedding album for her.

Post # 15
621 posts
Busy bee

I am starting a small photography thing on the side and i think if i decide to do weddings, i would offer very reasonable prices, and beginning photographers usually work very hard to make sure that the pictures come out well, as they want people to like them. I think you got a really nice price!

Post # 16
493 posts
Helper bee

Where in NY is your photog from?  I think the prices that are expected in the city are much different than the prices that photographers expect upstate.  I realize your actually wedding will be in MD but it might help to know where your photog is coming from.

The topic ‘Novice (but very good) photog+ wants us to come up with what to pay her; $850?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors