Post # 1
I am so distraught I don’t know what to do. I went for my 13 week nuchal scan yesterday.. everything was going great until the end when the doctor came in to review my scans. She said my babies nuchal fold was 2.8mm and was on the high side. My husband and I have decided to get bloodwork done.. I forgot the name but it pulls the babies dna from my blood and gives a better reading than the original blood test that just gives a ratio of your chances for ds. The doctor said I was doing the right test and we wouldn’t know more until after the holidays. I am so worried is 2.8 at 13 weeks really something to worry about? In case this matters I am only 27 years old. She also did not mention anything about a nasal bone and I can’t really tell if I see one in the scans. Ive attached the pictures as well as the nuchal fold. I am so worried does anyone see a nasal bone? Should I worry about the nuchal fold?
Post # 3
I don’t see pictures. But these scans are known for false positives. I would try not to worry.
Post # 5
Oops, I see the pictures Now sorry
Post # 6
Chanel87: I know it’s hard not to worry, but try not to. I’ve read lots of women getting higher measurements than yours and their babies not having Down Syndrome. It’s just a soft marker. Getting the blood work should give you a better understanding.
Post # 7
Those scans are notorious for misleading results, which is why I opted not to have one. I hope that your blood work comes back clear!!
Post # 8
From what I was told by my perinatologist, the scan measurement itself doesn’t mean squat without pairing it up with the blood test. Please try not to worry.
Post # 9
Those scans can have false positives, so try not to worry until you get better (more accurate) results.
Post # 10
Its so hard not to worry.. she seemed so cold about it which made matters worse. When I left the room the genetic councilor asked how things were and she brushed it off and said she wouldn’t worry unless it was anything over 3mm so im confused if 2.8 is high or normal and im so upset the doctor didn’t mention the nasal bone so I left the office more confused then when I went in and waiting until after thanksgiving to find out if my baby is ok feels like an eternity
Post # 11
I’m so sorry you’re going through this! I was told at my 20 week US that my baby had echogenic bowel, which is a soft marker for DS and could also be a sign of cystic fibrosis. (I had not done a nuchal scan at 12 weeks.) I got the Harmony test done, which sounds like the one you got drawn; they look at fetal DNA in the mother’s bloodstream. It took 10 business days to get the results, which was two weeks in real time. Needless to say I was pretty miserable those two weeks. I am very blessed that my results for DS were very low (they can’t say “negative” because the test gives you a likelihood proportion) and negative for CF, and at a 24 week repeat US the echogenic bowel was gone.
The best advice I can give to you is just to try to remind yourself that there is nothing you can do to change this, and there is nothing you did that caused it. It is entirely out of your hands. If you are a religious person, ask for prayer support. (Personally that made me a feel a lot better.) Try not to get sucked down the google rabbit hole. I know it is pretty much impossible to not want to read everything about every case somewhat like yours, but after you read it, does it make you feel better? For me, I always just felt more anxious and sad.
Finally, ultrasounds are not diagnostic, and there can be a lot of varience in the readings. Right now all you know is that your baby may have a marker that is associated with a higher incidence of DS. The genetic test will tell you a lot more. I know it’ll feel like an eternity, but you will get your test results back, you will get through the wait, and you will be able to handle the outcome. Lean on your husband, family and friends for support. Good luck! Please post an update.
Post # 12
1) Can you go back and see the genetic counsellor? Or call? It sucks to leave the doctor’s office confused, and it’s definitely hard to concentrate when you’re distraught.
2) The NT means little by itself. You have to factor in the Crown to Rump length, maternal age, and your own blood test results. If the doctor was brusque and unconcerned and said “I wouldn’t worry”…then it’s probably a good sign? I really hope the doctor would have been kinder and the genetic counsellor more clear if there was something to really worry about.
Post # 13
The doctor said it was a concern since it was above 2.5 and a blood test is needed. the genetic councellor stopped us on our way out to ask how things went and when we told her 2.8 she waved it off and said to only be concerned if it was more than 3 which left us even more confused.
Post # 14
I would guess that there is a slight chance of down’s and they don’t want to miss it… But that it is slight.
To put it in perspective, I ended up getting emergency health care in a third world country that involved a hypodermic needle. When I got back, I got a series of blood tests to make sure I didn’t get hep B or HIV. The chances were about zilch that they had reused a needle that was dirty with HIV blood, and even if they had – you have about a 2% chance of contracting HIV in that situation. I still did the test to be sure and have peace of mind, even though I had such a low chance of contracting that disease. I think your case is similar – above zero, but so small that it’s completely not likely.
the doctor probably didn’t realize that her manner came off that way, because the risk is so low… Even though it is high enough to trigger their “order a blood test” protocol.
Post # 15
Chanel87: Most prenatal screening programs also take the results of two pieces of blood work into account – HCG and PAPPA. If these levels were normal, most places will give a very reasonable risk for a NT measurement of 2.8. Did you get those done? Did they include that in your risk assessment. Until you get an actual risk assessment, please don’t stress too much for that NT number.