(Closed) NWR: Formatting an EHD to both Mac & PC? (very tech-y)

posted 7 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
1742 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2016

That’s pretty tricky, as I’ve seen Western Digital external hard drives lose everything on them when plugged into a Mac, especially if Time Machine is activated.  A lot of manufacturers are trying to copy-protect data, and like the iPhone or iPod, don’t want you to be able to shuffle items back and forth easily. I just bought a Western Digital 1TB drive, and have given up hope to be able to transfer files between my PC and work Mac. 

maybe this will help?

Post # 4
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I use a WD and was able to hook up to both a PC and Mac but I am now having trouble with it.  Not sure what the problem is yet or if it stemmed from this but we’ll see. 

Post # 6
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

Did you ever figure this out ? It sounds like he was recommending you partition the drive, which is what I was going to recommend too. 🙂

Do you need to be able to transfer things from the PC to the Mac and back using this HD, or just for backs up on both? Partitioning would work for the latter, but not the former. (Unless you set up on partitioned part to be used by both.)

The topic ‘NWR: Formatting an EHD to both Mac & PC? (very tech-y)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors