- 4 years ago
- Wedding: October 2013
Hey guys, I’ll try to keep this short but..
My husband had a dog, an adorable 1yro male Boxer when I met him almost 4 years ago. I was thrilled! I love dogs and had never had one! The dog never saw me as his “master” and though he obeys me he really is more quick to obey my husband. He is suuuch a sweet boy and has always been great with other dogs and kids!
5 months ago, we got a new dog, a 2 year old female French Bulldog. I used to pet-sit for her and then took ownership of afer her original owner couldnt care for her anymore. She is very sweet but was not properly socialized so she has trouble sharing with other dogs.
4 months ago I took both dogs to the park and immediately upon entering our Boxer ran up to a Great Dane puppy and I dont know who “started” it but immediately there was a huge fight! I was so scared! My dog “won” and the Great Dane got torn up and bloody all over his ear and neck! I was terrified and couldn’t even step in to stop it! Someone else grabbed my dog and handed him over! I offered to pay vet bills but nothing more ever came of it. I have taken my dog back to the park just twice since, and left when other dogs came…
3 months ago we got married and we all moved in together (we didnt live together before). At first things were okay. We noticed the dogs didn’t really play together like they used to when I was just pet-sitting. Our Frenchie was kinda bossy and our Boxer more or less gave in. I am not working right now so I was around to help them get to know each other. Now they more or less co-exist, sometimes play “chase” but don’t really “wrestle”at all. They have gotten into a few scuffles, 2 of which scared me a bit but there were never any real scratches, bites, blood.
- Every time I take the boxer out he barks aggressively at the gate (we have no backyard but there’s a gated parking lot behind our condo)
- Every time he sees someone in the alley he barks aggressively at them
- He has “gate-fought” with our neighbor’s dogs on either side and growled at me when I grabbed him.
- When I walk him and see people I freak out internally because my dog will stand on his hind legs and try to lunge at passers-by and bark. —Especially if it is a minority male… soo embarassing! When I didnt see people in time to cross the street I’ve had to ask people to please wait til I have better “control” of my dog and rein him in. (ps. I’m a minority too! Husband is not)
- Today, he tried to lunge at a 10? 12? year old boy, once again a minority.. I had to ask the little boy to please wait while I put my dog away.
- Additionally, he has gotten more spoiled and always wants to be by me including jumping into bed when my husband leaves for work. Note: We do not allow dogs into the bed.
- He is still well behaved with the two female dogs downstairs, well behaved with my husband, and no more aggressive with our Frenchie, friendly with his “doggie-cousins”
What is going on?!?!?!?! Is he just being more protective of me now that we live together? Is it his age? He’s 5 now. Is it because we got a new dog? Am I doing something wrong??? I’m always the one that walks him because I don’t work and my husband wont believe me that there’s anything wrong. He says I must be holding the dog wrong or done something else wrong to provoke hi,. So annoying. I’ve read that I shouldnt yell at my dog when he’s aggressive and I try to talk in an exited tone like “oh look buddy! it’s our friend!” but I worry that I look wacko being all sweet when my dog is being nuts or that people won’t understand that they seriously should not get close… I’m so scared he’s going to attack someone some day… and since Im the one walking I will have to pay the consequences…….
Re-homing is pretty much not an option. My husband loves his dog sooo much and truth be told, i do too. He used to be sooo sweet! I mean, this is the same dog I used to take to work with me with children with autism around and petting him and he was so patient! He’s the same dog that my husband’s nephew once stuck his finger up his butt (ahh! I know) and the dog just turned to look at him like huh? He’s “my” “first” dog and I love him but don’t understand what is happening!