NWR – MOLD in our apartment!!

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
Member
6507 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

I’m sorry you’re going through this! Have you told her that you plan on moving if it’s not fixed? Maybe if you explain that you’re worried about your health and tell her you plan on moving due to that they will fix it. I can see why your FH is hesitant to make a fuss but I would not want to continue living there if the situation isn’t taken care of. Show your FH some of the articles about the health hazards. That will probably make him less hesitant about speaking to his aunt about this.

Post # 4
Member
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’m sorry you’re dealing with that, it must be so stressful 🙁  You already know this, but I think you have to move in order to keep the peace with the family. 

Post # 5
Member
4441 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

@Lizzie123:  That’s ridiculously disgusting!  She probably didn’t see any mold because you’d just cleaned the shower!!

DH and I lived in an apartment with mold, but it was more easily containable than your situation and being (or on your way to being) a nurse you know the health risks!

I’m sure you’ve already figured out that this is exactly why you don’t do business with relatives but your FI needs to realize how serious this is.

Either fix it and take the cost out of the rent (helps with aunt and uncle’s financial problem) or MOVE.

Post # 6
Member
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@DaneLady:  +1. I’d definitely be moving. Mold can be very damaging to your health. 

Post # 7
Member
308 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@Lizzie123:  I can totally relate, because something similar happened to us recently – our upstairs neighbor’s bathroom is right above ours, and the cistern of her toilet had apparently been leaking into her floor for God knows how long until finally a smal hole developed in our ceiling a few weeks ago. Our landlord is a total slumlord and basically had her handyman just patch up the plaster over the structural damage. We decided not to make a big deal of it, because our rent is WAY below market value and we don’t intend to stay there for that much longer anyway. Plus, it would not surprise me at all if the damage was so extensive that repairing it would mean us losing use of our only bathroom for an extended period of time.

So I guess my advice to you would be to determine if you think the health risk is great enough to warrant moving over it, especially if you don’t plan to live there forever. Mold is gross, but it’s not necessarily the end of the world – and relatively few types of it are actually harmful.

Post # 9
Member
3570 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

@daisyfay:  Many types of mold are very harmful.  My mom has had an increase in gray matter in her brain from mold and looks like a stroke victim.  It paralyzed her face and arm.  Yup, bathroom mold.  

I think you are greatly misinformed about the dangers of mold.  You can breath it in, it starts growing inside your lungs, and you die.  

Post # 10
Member
3268 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@Lizzie123:  First, I think in some states, it is illegal for landlords to rent places that are not in liveable condition– and I think mold is one reason for a place not being in livable condition. In some places (and you should check out the laws for where you are, as they vary), tenants can withhold rent if the apartment is in unlivable condition.

Second (and probably more usefully), can you get in behind the shower panel at all? If there is a way to do that, you could spray a couple bottles of Lysol or chlorine bleach cleaner in there, which would fix the problem temporarily.

Yuck, this is a gross problem to have. I’m dealing with apartment/landlord problems of my own right now, so I know how much it sucks!

Post # 14
Member
3268 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@MrsTVLover:  Yes, there are vey harmful types of mold, and my mother was made very sick from working in an old building that had severe mold problems. She worked there for several years before having any issues, though. However, with house molds, you won’t die from brief (even a few months) exposure to mold spores. It may make one pretty sick, but it will not kill you unless you are exposed to it for a long period of time, as far as I know (and I am well informed about this.)

Not to discount your mother’s (horrible!!!!) experience from mold, but I am just a little concerned that your statement about mold growing in your lungs and killing you might be a bit dramatic, especially since the OP is already upset and concerned about this.

Post # 15
Member
3268 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@Lizzie123:  Oh, that sucks about the panel being hard to take off. But if you want to keep living there, someone is going to have to do it and either disinfect what’s back there, or rip a bunch of wood/insulation/whatever out of there and rebuild.

I totally understand about not wanting to pull the legal stuff on them as they are family. I just wanted to make sure you knew about that, in case you needed it (and I sure hope you don’t!).

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors