- 6 years ago
- Wedding: February 2012
I need some advice on painting a wooden TV stand.
My husband and I found thise TV stand on Craigslist for very cheap and we want to buy it and paint it (and replace the green knobs). We’re not sure what color yet but I’m starting to gather information on how to paint it. I am not very skilled at DIY.
So far this is what I’ve learned:
- I need to wash it with TSP paint (I would use the non-wash one because I won’t have a hose nearby).
- I need to sand it with an orbital sander.
- I need to prime it with a good (read: not cheap) primer.
- I need to sand the wood lightly to make sure all the primer is smoothe.
- I need to paint it (here is where I’d like some advice on what type of paint, roller, any techniques for how to get a good even coat).
- Do a second coat?
- Finish it off with…something that goes on top?
Does that all sound about right?
How long do you think this will take us?
Here’s a picture of the unit from the picture on Craiglist (the listing says it comes with extra navy paint but I really think we’re not a fan of the navy for matching the rest of our pieces.)