Post # 1
I posted about med school previously, but I realize it was super confusing. I hope this time I explain it well enough. I think to understand this whole mess up, I think I need to try and explain a little about how the admissions process works.
In Texas, we can get prematches, or an early acceptance. Then, in Jan people rank all the schools that they interviewed at and all the schools rank the students and this program “matches” everyone up based on their rankings. Whatever school you get matched to is the school you go to, the end, unless you didn’t get into your first choice school and you happen to get off their waitlist.
I ended up getting matched to a great school, which I like, even though I had ranked it #3 on my list. The DAY AFTER we all find out what school we’re matched to, we get an email saying that our school overaccepted. BIG TIME. They currently have 250 accepted students and can only accommodate 170. This means we have 80 people too many. Right now they’ve asked people to voluntarily defer for a year, for $2k, and start fall of 2012. If they don’t have enough people volunteer, they’re going to start forcing people to defer and they don’t get anything. They’re assuming 20-30 people will just withdraw or get accepted to a different school.
I DO NOT want to take a year off. I can’t afford it. I applied for this year because I wanted to start this year. I especially don’t want to be FORCED to take a year off. And the worst part is, we won’t know for sure if we’re starting this year or next until APRIL. Right now I’m really hoping I get off the waitlist into my #1…
I REALLY hope this isn’t too hard to understand 🙁 I’m really stressed out about this situation
Post # 3
Oh, geez! I’m so sorry. I don’t have any advice for you, because I’m not sure what I would do in your situation, but I do want to let you know that this situation totally sucks and it’s okay that you’re stressed about it! If I were you, I think my first step would be to call and speak to someone in admissions at the medical school in question. Try and get a better feel for the situation and what you should be considering right now. Then go from there. Sending you good vibes that everything works out!
Post # 4
That sucks! : / Do you know how they’re going to cut people? Through a draw, or by marks? If you think you have a good chance of sticking around (or getting into #1), I’d wait it out…. *fingers crossed*
Post # 5
@mrsmdphd: A lot of people have emailed and it seems like overall the school is still trying to figure out what to do. The good thing is I have until April to figure it out. The bad thing is April is so far away lol and living situations etc really need to be sorted out before then, especially since my fiance is a med student, too, at a different school. This just happened yesterday so hopefully they’ll email is again with some more information or updates.
@Jenniphyr: Their initial email said that they were going to do it randomly, then they sent another email that said it was going to be random but that we could send them justifications for why we don’t want to be deferred and that they might consider them. I have until April to really make a decision so hopefullyyyy I’ll get into another school but my hopes aren’t too high because it’s basically the most popular school in the state. Since this only happened yesterday, hopefully they’ll send us some more information by next week.
I know I should be proud of myself for getting into med school at all but I can’t help thinking that maybe if I had done a little better and got into another school, I wouldn’t be in this situation at all 🙁