Obamacare & 2014 Brides?

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 3
2150 posts
Buzzing bee

calisunshine3404:  I’m surprised your university doesn’t require you to have health insurance since you’re full time. 

When I was dropped from my dads insurance because he retired, I had to sign up for a plan provided by the university that was under Medical Mutual of Ohio, or I would be dropped from my classes.

Sorry I can’t answer your question, I just thought that was a little odd.

Post # 3
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

Here it is:  If you’re uninsured for just part of the year, 1/12 of the yearly penalty applies to each month you’re uninsured.

However,  there is no penalty for a single gap in coverage of less than 3 months in a year. 

Post # 5
2455 posts
Buzzing bee

I’d personally take the penalty for being uninsured for a few months than try to sign up for something, pay THAT, and then dump it a few months later.

Post # 6
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2015

You’re in California?  We use Covered California which is actually pretty low-hassle compared to the national site.  For questions, I’d try to get a meeting/phone meeting with one of the agents meant to help with sign up as I’ve found them very helpful and prompt once they’re on your case, while trying to get info from the website and main help lines is definitely an excruciating process.

Post # 7
1110 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

You can usually get coverage from your university for a relatively cheap cost to cover you until you marry and can get on your future spouse’s insurance plan.

Post # 11
1157 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I would try to get coverage from your university- actually, I’m surprised that they don’t require it. Mine did. 

I would never risk going without health insurance, you never know when a freak accident could happen. When I was 23, I was incredibly healthy, only medication I took was birth control, etc. Well, a week after starting my first full time job (from which I would be getting my own health insurance), a huge tree limb fell on me on my way home from work and gave me a concussion, a head wound requiring something like 20 staples to close, and two fractured vertebrae in my neck. The total hospital bill came to $17,000, and I did not even have to have surgery or stay for more than one night. After spending three months in a chin to waist brace, I had to do physical therapy twice a week for three months. 

Thankfully, I was still under my parents’ plan, because I hadn’t even done orientation to sign up for health insurance at my new job. I didn’t have to pay a dime- and this is why I would never risk going without. 

Post # 10
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

MichiganGirl24:  +1

Count me in on that.  All students at my undergrad had to be insured, either through their own or through the school.  If you didn’t show proof of insurance, they would automatically enroll you in the school insurance plan.  So I would check your school policy before worrying about the Affordable Care Act.

Post # 13
570 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

When we signed up for a plan on the exchange, it was a year long plan, so we don’t have the option to switch or change in that year.  You may be better off just eating any small penalty for being uninsured for the short time than getting stuck in a plan.

Post # 14
9531 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

Does the student health cover costs if you get into some sort of accident?

I, personally, wouldn’t go without health insurance because I worry about a catastrophic event that could put me in huge debt. A few years ago I went something like 14 days without insurance between plans. I was a nervous wreck those two weeks. Every time I got in my car I prayed to not have an accident. So, to me, the insurance would be worth the piece of mind. 

Post # 15
2203 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

calisunshine3404:  Even though you have “student health services,” I would still check.  All students at my undergrad were given basic service no matter what level of coverage they had, school or not.  It was a built-in fee we had to pay.  It was something like one visit a semester and some basic stuff like pills for yeast infection or low-dose pain killers.  But we needed real, full insurance as well in case we needed care beyond what the student health services could provide.  I’m not saying your school is the same, but I would double check with them and make sure you don’t need to sign up for a real plan. 🙂

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors