Follow up to the post by michiru4ever: # 8 above… on Florida (one of the easiest US States to get married in)
Especially for Non-Floridians / non-Americans …
As Canadians we did the same things…
Had to both be present together – Filled out the form – Paid $ 93.50 – Stated we weren’t currently married (as Encores we had to provide the DATES when our last Marriages ended… and the reason Annulment / Death / Divorce) – Provide ID as Non-Americans (Passports) – AND Read the Booklet on Domestic Abuse – Swore an OATH in front of the clerk that all info provided was truthful
And within about 30 minutes or so our Marriage License was prepared (printed / notarized)
As Non-Floridians… our license was effective immediately (NO Waiting Period) – and valid for 60 Days from the date of issue.
The cool things about the State of Florida vs other states is…
* NO Waiting Period for Non-Residents
* One can apply in any County Courthouse in Florida and the License is valid for anywhere in the State of Florida or it’s waterways (up to 3 Miles off-shore)
* NO Divorce Decree / Death Certificates needed (just the dates). Saves significantly on COSTS… because getting Ceritifed Originals can be quite pricey depending on WHERE you live.
* NO Blood Tests or other Medical Requirements
* JUST a Passport needed for ID etc (NO requirement for Canadian Social Insurance info… which as Canadians our country advises us not to provide to anyone outside of the Canadian Government. Some states INSISTED on our CANADIAN SIN # Info. despite the fact that legally we shouldn’t be providing that. They didn’t understand WHY… to them the form said SSN info, so they wanted our equivalent)
* AND NO Witnesses required for the Wedding… just a Registered & Licensed Florida Officiant has to be present (after the Wedding the Officiant signs the Wedding License, and has 10 Days to send it back to the relative County Courthouse so that a Wedding Certificate can be issued)
* One has to apply in person and both together. They don’t process applications by mail.
Overall… EASY PEASY !!
10 out of 10 !!
Any Canadians looking to marry in the USA should consider Florida, as it is probably the easiest state to getting it done… and of course BEAUTIFUL WEATHER & BEACHES… perfect for Eloping / Destination Weddings.