(Closed) OCTOBER 2012 Bees, What's on Your Menu?

posted 5 years ago in October 2012
Post # 3
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@Petite_Fraise:  

ETA: IT ATE MY POST, GRRR!

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

Stations!

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING AT COCKTAIL HOUR?

Passed apps, cheese/veggie display, and my fiance’s #1 request, a pig roast…yes, i know

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DINNER?

Pasta, meat carving, stir fry, mashed pot., and salad stations–all chef run where guests select what they want in their food. ie pasta has 3 different sauces, 3 pastas, and 3 proteins to choose from

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT?

Pittsburgh style cookie table and cake!

ANYTHING SPECIAL/UNUSUAL?

Post # 4
234 posts
Helper bee

I am having beef and chicken chili with a potato bar. Apple cobbler as adessert and cake . Wine and beer to drink 🙂 

Post # 5
129 posts
Blushing bee

We are having food…..lots of it.  ; )

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

Buffet

Andouille Sausage in a Puff Pastry

Mini Crab cakes

Bruschetta skewers

apple salad

fruit/vanilla pumkin yogurt dip

cheese/crackers

3 kinds of sliders-buffalo chicken, eastern BBQ with coleslaw, and blue cheese and bacon stuffed burgers

portabella skewers

mac and cheese station with 3 choices of cheese and some topping choices

green beans

sweet potato fries

Just wedding cake-but we may have several flavors to choose from

Post # 7
451 posts
Helper bee

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?
Plated

Still have to pick the appetizers, but will probably go with one station, like a cheese place, and then passed hot and cold hors d’oeuvres.  We are also having a signature drink which will be local apple cider (from Vermont) and spiced rum!  I am most excited about this.

Starter is cheddar ale soup, with Vermont cheddar and local ale. 
Dinner options are Green Mountain Chicken or grass fed local Filet Mignon.

Dessert will be cupcakes!  We got double what we needed and have four flavors so people can try different ones.

We want everything to be really rustic and using local Vermont ingredients. 

Post # 8
66 posts
Worker bee

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET? Plated

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING AT COCKTAIL HOUR? Cheese/crackers, fruit, veggies etc.

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DINNER? Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, gravy, cranberry relish, etc.

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT? Pumpkin mousse

ANYTHING SPECIAL/UNUSUAL? The sides will be served homestyle so people can have seconds or choose what the want.

Post # 9
3773 posts
Honey bee

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

Plated

BBQ Meatballs, Shrimp Coctail, Pesto Bruchetta on toast, and bar

House salad, vegetables, herbed potatoes, and choice of Sweet Bourbon Salmon, Prime Rib, or Chicken Flourentine

Cake, probably angel food or marbled.

Not that I can think of. Pretty standard. 

Post # 10
544 posts
Busy bee

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET? Buffet

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING AT COCKTAIL HOUR? cheese/cracker display, crab dip, meatballs, and passed tomato bisque shooters with grilled cheese wedge

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DINNER? Pre-set caesar salad and rolls, Asian Station with chicken stir fry, jasmine rice, fortune cookies, california rolls, and spicy tuna rolls, and a Carving Station with beef tenderloin, roast turkey, mashed potato bar, green bean casserole, and honey glazed baby carrots.

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT? Cake — white, strawberry, coconout, or red velvet

ANYTHING SPECIAL/UNUSUAL? We’re doing a welcome sweets bar with cookies, marshmallow pops, brownie bites, pb fudge, and chocolate dipped oreos; and we’re also doing a late night snack with giant rice krispie treats and a popcorn machine with toppings.

Post # 11
345 posts
Helper bee

This has made me hungry… lol

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET? Buffet Style 

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING AT COCKTAIL HOUR? Canape and Drinks Reception

Drinks will be Pimms and Lemonade

Canapes chosen so far: 

• Fillet steak on a crostini topped with Bearnaise sauce
  • Skewered marinated monkfish and pancetta baked in rosemary and garlic with a lemon aioli
  • Capri Crostini of oven roasted baby tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella and fresh pesto
  • Goats cheese, caramelised red onion and thyme tartlets
  • Chicken skewers marinated in fresh lime with smooth avocado crème dip

Quadruple Roast, which is similar to a Hog Roast but Lamb, Beef, Pork and Turkey on the Spit, covered at different times to it’s all cooked perfectly 😀 Served with Salads and New Potatoes and Rustic Breads

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT? We are having a Dessert Table with Trifles, Chocolate Cake, Custard Tart, Victoria Sponge, Scones with Clotted Cream and Jam, Lemon Tart. mini cupcakes etc and on the other side of the table will be a Sweetie Buffet

Nothing Special or Unusual, Evening Buffet will be Cold Meat and Fruit Platters, plus cheese and biscuits, and one of the salads for the main will be Biltong and Butternut Salad, which some people may find odd, but my H2B is South African and they love their Biltong, for those that don’t know what it is, it’s similar to jerkey in that it’s a kind of cured meat 🙂 Other Salads will be Greek Salad and a just a plain Salad 😀

Post # 12
2240 posts
Buzzing bee

Nothing has been officially decided yet but it looks like we will be having:

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

brunch bufet

beer & wine (and other beverages to drink) and fruit display/bagels w/cream cheese and salmon.  The fruit/bagels/salmon stuff was included in our brunch buffet menu but the first lady we worked with suggested (right before she left the venue for another job) that we use them as horderves vs. paying extra for them.  She said we were going to have so much food already, and that it was our right to use the food as we wanted.  YAY!  That made everyone happy — goodbye extra $$$ for food.  It’s going to be nice.  I love fruit, lol.  I hope I get to eat some of it o_o

** I don’t mind salmon, it was on the menu w/the bagels & cream cheese.  We probably will end up going with it because people like salmon right?  *shrugs* lol…I figure it can’t hurt.

Beware, this will be long and may make you hungry!  Haha, I will list our options and bold the ones we’re considering.

-No matter what other options we choose we will have a made to order waffle stations (w/whipped cream, fresh strawberries & blueberries, confectioner’s sugar, syrup and butter) featuring scrambled eggs, bacon, maple sausage, roasted potatoes, assorted desserts and pastries.

-We get to pick either an omelet stations (w/cheese, bell peppers, onions, sausage, ham, and tomatoes) OR a carving station (w/either London Broil, Prime Rib, or Turkey.)

-Choice of two stations:Chicken breast w/sauteed mushroom sauce, Pasta Alfredo w/VA Ham, Ginger Beef and Fried Rice, and Arroz con Pollo (Spanish chicken and rice).

-Choice of two sides:Oatmeal, Polenta grits, sauteed green beans, smoked salmon and fruit display, bagels/cream cheese, julianne vegtables.

**I’m assuming since we’d be using them as horderves they’re crossed out?  They probably will refill these stations though.  Something I need to check out I guess.

-Choice of two soups: Butternut squash soup, french onion, beef and veggie, chicken noodle, cream of mushroom, or cream of asparagus 

**bolded three because those are the ones we like the sound of, lol.  Well, groomy doesn’t care for french onion but it’s pretty darn delish.  More than likely, since I won’t be eating soup (um hello waffles?) we’ll probably do chicken noodle and beef and veggie.  They’re usually crowd pleasers!

There will be the assorted desserts and pastries I suppose (I guess by the waffle station, lol as part of brunch) + we will have wedding cake if we manage to find one, lol.  

Or, we’ll do a random dessert station and maybe I’d make us a mini wedding cake OR cheesecake for us to cut/have a caketopper for and such.  Groomy loves himself some cheesecake and I make a pretty darn tasty one Wink  That’s actually not a bad idea, lol.  We’re gonna check another cake place out and see what’s up w/that.  But, I don’t mind making a mini cake or cheesecake for us to cut.  I just don’t know if I would be expected to provide cheesecake to everyone.  Has anyone considered doing something like this?  Help!

We may do a toast but I dunno what beverage we will be toasting with yet.  I’ve considered mimosas instead of regular champagne as an option.  I also wouldn’t mind looking into what it’d cost to have mai tais made up for just our toast.  We’re going to Hawaii and I’d like to practice my mai-tai sippage.  Of course, regular champagne is still in the running too I guess.  I’m not crazy about the taste of champange though.  It’s alright, and I’ll drink it when special occassions occur. 

Any thoughts of my dessert situation?  o_o Help me October bees.  Groomy keeps getting sent on business trips and it looks like he may get sent on another soon (maybe for up to two weeks).  I feel weird picking a wedding cake without him.  We went to one bakery because they had chocolate cake w/peanut butter frosting.  It sounded amazing — it was lackluster.  We thought their red velvet cake was okay, but they wanted big money for the cake.  Anyone else have a hard time forking over money for the cake?  Groomy says it’s not a big deal to him and if I want the cake we will get it.  It just seems like a lot of money >.< but it was pretty.  I dunnoz.  

Post # 13
380 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?  Buffet

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DINNER?  BBQ Brisket Sandwiches, Potato Salad, Coleslaw, Baked Beans, chips  (Nothing beats a good ole’ fashion BBQ!)

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT?  Nothing….they can wait til the wedding cake is cut

ANYTHING SPECIAL/UNUSUAL?  Im going to do something special at the reception for my Grandma & Neice if they come to the wedding.  My Grandma’s 70th bday is the day before & my neices’s 9th bday is the day after the wedding, so Im thinking about doing a lil surprise announcement for them & having everyone sing them happy birthday.

Post # 14
680 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

Plated

Cheese/cracker display, veggie displayed, and a waiter passed veggie spring rolls with plum sauce yum!

Salad – Greek Salad with Italian dressing

Entree – Choice of either Chicken with Mango Salsa, herb roasted potatoes and vegetables or beef tri tip, herb roasted potatoes and vegetables.

Dessert will be the wedding cake and we’re also having a candy buffet that will be opened up after dinner.

I don’t think so?  

Post # 15
1253 posts
Bumble bee

I want to join this board but my tasting is at the ending of the month. So I will be back. 

So far

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET? Plated Meal

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING AT COCKTAIL HOUR? Don’t know yet

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DINNER? Chicken and Salmon so far the rest don’t know

WHAT ARE YOU SERVING FOR DESSERT? Cupcake Cake 

ANYTHING SPECIAL/UNUSUAL? Candy station (I guess)

Post # 16
177 posts
Blushing bee

FOOOOOOD!!!

PLATED DINNER OR BUFFET?

Buffet

No cocktail hour

– Escargot Bouchee

– Caramelized Onions, goat cheese and sun-dried tomato in Phyllo Cup

– Oyster Bienville Tartlette 

– Blackened Chicken Brochette with Lemon Butter Sauce

– Fresh Vegetable Platter with Asparagus, Red & Yellow Bell Peppers
Hearts of Palm, Zucchini & Squash

– 4 oz. Beef Tenderloin

– Vegetable Pasta 

– Seafood Pasta 

– New Orleans Seafood Gumbo  

– Chocolate Truffles

– Assorted Fruit Tarts

– Napoleons

– Strawberries dipped in chocolate

Not so unusual anymore, but we are having a cupcake cake with all kinds of gourmet cupcake flavors 😀

The topic ‘OCTOBER 2012 Bees, What's on Your Menu?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors