OMG PRICE of FLOWERS! R U KIDDING ME?! Advice Please:)

posted 3 years ago in Food
Post # 4
Hostess
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Yup, I am getting my flowers from Sam’s Club – I just couldn’t see spending tons of money on flowers that are just going to die. I wanted pretty bouquets and centerpieces, but nothing over the top.

Oh, and they offer packages of already made bouquets and bouts if you aren’t too picky about your flowers.

As for your florist actually putting them together.. I honestly have no clue if they would do it, or how much it would cost. I’m sure they make a profit on both the flowers and the labor so it may be something they won’t do.

All you can do it ask!

Post # 8
795 posts
Busy bee

@BrideToBe14:  being a vendor myself, I would say she is likely marking the price of your flowers up to make a profit. There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but you might tell her that you’re not able to spend that much on flowers and have found a less expensive option. Of she’d like to be paid to arrange them, great! If not, do it yourself with your BM’s. Thats what I would do. I have zero knowledge of the floral biz, but that is just my take. Are flowers a huge priority for you? They aren’t for me, so a simple DIY bouquet would be great in my situation.

Post # 10
7997 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

It wouldn’t hurt to ask if she’d be willing to arrange them for you, but I’d be kinda surprised if it was worth it for her (as a business) just to arrange flowers.

I know it’s not the same thing, but it made me think of scoffing at restaurant booze prices and asking if you can BYOB… it’s just not done lol.

Yes, flowers are very expensive… I splurged on my bouquet ($300 for yellow roses), but those are my only flowers for my tiny wedding.

Post # 11
mswallabyBee
2070 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2012 - Oak Tree Manor

@BrideToBe14:  Did your florist give you a price-breakdown for how much each flower would be, how much she charges for labor, how much for delivery, how much to rent vases, etc.? Flower arrangement takes time, as does drivinga truck or van all over a city to deliver flowers to different weddings, so she can’t just charge you a very, very low rate and call it a day. If you’re getting really bad sticker shock, why don’t you contact a couple other florists for quotes? Or consider working through Whole Foods or a grocery store to do your arrangements for you, and have someone in your wedding party pick them up the morning of the wedding?

Post # 12
6279 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

i went with flowerless centerpieces because flowers were just so expensive.

Post # 13
885 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

The only flowers I had were the bouquets and bouts – we didn’t have flowers as part of our decor or centerpieces.  We used red and white roses for the bouquets and bouts, and I got the flowers at Costco on the Thursday evening before my Saturday wedding.  That night my mom and I de-thorned all the roses and cut off most of the greenery, as well as cutting the stems a little shorter.  We kept the flowers in buckets with water and the powdery flower-food you get when you buy flowers, and stored them in the basement until Friday afternoon.

On the Friday afternoon my mom, sister and I made the 4 bridesmaid bouquets, my bouquet, and bouts for all the guys (including our dads).  There are tons of great tutorials on line (youtube was a good resource) for how to do it.  It took the three of us maybe 2 hours total, and cost about $150 including the flowers, ribbon, pins and floral tape.  The bouquets weren’t perfect, but they worked, and looked fabulous in photos.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Post # 14
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

Take the number you are comfortable paying and ask your florist what they can offer you with that budget. When we first went to the florist we were quoted 4k!! After I told them I didn’t want to spend a penny over $2500 they made some adjustments and gave me the overall look I was going for but with less expensives flowers.

Post # 16
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I will also add that I went out and bought the pint jars the florist was going to rent us and my FI built the wood boxes for the other centerpieces so that we would save money. That alone saved us about $300 dollars.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors