(Closed) Online vs. Brick & Mortar Programs

posted 6 years ago in College
Post # 3
6010 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I think the issue is that, with so many non-accredited, for-profit programs cropping up out there, sometimes employers have a hard time distinguishing between online degrees from reputable colleges/universities and “certification” type degrees.  So they make the (unfair) assumption that only “brick and mortar” degrees are legitimate/worthwhile.

I also think it depends on your field of study.  I’m doing an online program for my Masters in Library Sciences right now, and everything I’ve seen in the information studies field is that online programs are very much accepted.  In other fields, though, this might not be the case.

Post # 4
5428 posts
Bee Keeper

Post # 5
5428 posts
Bee Keeper

I think employeers view long distance education as less than if you actually went to a physical building.

– They view you in pyjamas with a coffee in your hand

– You can “leave” the lesson to go to the bathroom, have a cigarette outside, go pick up the mail, then come back for a few minutes, then cook supper…. they think you can’t stay at the job long enough to finish the task at hand

– They don’t see the discipline in doing online schooling because it is done in your timeline not a real job setting where you have to work for hours in a row

Employers like it when you are disciplined enough to get up in the morning, get out of the house, take a bus or drive your car to a physical building, have the morning study schedule, then break time, then study some more, then lunch, then the afternoon study schedule. then go home. It’s more like a “real” job… And if you can do THAT, then you can do the job.

Post # 7
949 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I’ve done some pretty substantial research regarding distance education, and though the job market perception hasn’t been the focus, it does look like there’s still some stigma. I’m in the same field as Mrs. Spring, and I mostly agree with her that online degrees are accepted (I think partially because there are only so many accredited schools in library science and their reputations tend to be well-known, whether online or not), but some older people who may be involved with hiring decisions do seem to have lingering negative views. My personal outlook is that as long as there’s some “real world” experience like an internship or something to back up the coursework, and the qualifiers you mentioned, there’s nothing to say online is any less good than in-person.

The topic ‘Online vs. Brick & Mortar Programs’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors