(Closed) Opinions needed – Job Interview Etiquette

posted 7 years ago in Married Life
  • poll: How should husband handle the work issue explained below?
    Pass on Job A and hope Job B works out : (2 votes)
    13 %
    Accept Job A and if Job B offers position leave Job A : (10 votes)
    63 %
    Other please explain : (4 votes)
    25 %
  • Post # 3
    Member
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

    @ChillyBear: I would ask to have an extension to respond to the offer for job A.

    See how long he can wait to accept/decline the position.

    If he says yes to Job A, he would need to give up on B entirely. Being at a job for only a few weeks does not look good on a resume, and could lead to bad recommendations as well as a bad reputation in that field (if companies tend to compare notes).

    Post # 4
    Member
    2216 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

    @KatNYC2011:I agree.  Mr. ChillyBear should ask for an extension, although some companies won’t give you more than a few days. 

    Post # 5
    Member
    3564 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

    Yup, agreed that he should ask for an extension. But if he does end up taking Job A and is only there for a few weeks, he doens’t need to list it on his resume or use people there as references–that way it won’t reflect badly on him in the future.

    Post # 6
    Member
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

    @hilsy85: It shouldn’t but if the industry is very small it may indirectly affect him badly (i.e. if people at company A talk a to people at company B). Or if people at company B call his current company for references and hear he left several weeks ago for a new position.

    Post # 7
    Member
    3564 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

    @KatNYC2011: True, I don’t know anything about Environmental Consulting or how big/small the field is, or whether the two companies are closely related at all.

    Post # 8
    Member
    8738 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

    @hilsy85: I don’t either, that was just the only thing that came to mind that could backfire if he took A now only to take B a few weeks later.

    Post # 9
    Member
    7587 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2010

    I would have him take job A. If he gets job B he can leave job A.  Because of the short time span he wouldn’t need to put job A on his resume. I have had employees take jobs and leave in the same type of experiences, (better opportunity, etc) and have never faulted them for taking the better positions for them.  However, when I have had people ask for offer extensions, I have felt slighted. “My job isn’t good enough for you, that you need time to think about it?” It’s like proposing marriage and someone saying hold on a second and let me think.  LOL

    Post # 10
    Member
    3461 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

    Exciting to get job offers!

    Ask Job A to wait.  Tell Job B you have been offered another position and ask if they can move up the interview (many will do this). 

    Alternatively: Negotiate with Job A for more pay (this may also give you a little more time to decide).

    Meanwhile: Figure out what the pay grade of B is, IF that would be deciding factor for you.

    The only “wrong” decision is to take A and leave it for B a few weeks later.  Me, after 2 years at a job I hated…I’d try to negotiate better pay, but would ultimately decide on bird in hand over prettier one in bush.  However, that’s my personal take and you may have a higher tolerance for risk, etc. 

    Post # 11
    Member
    13101 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: July 2010

    @kay01: I second your plan.

    Ask for more time from Company A (explain that you are in the middle of interviews for another job).

    ALSO – ask company B if you can move up your interview as you have an offer from another company that you have to give a response too.

    IMO – a company shouldn’t fault you for wanting to have a full picture in order to make a decision regarding what is best for you and your family.

    Post # 12
    Member
    3375 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

    I would tell job A that you’re very interested but need more time to think it over because of the pay decrease.

    Most jobs expect for you to negotiate pay and this will give you time to either get job B or get more pay!

    Post # 14
    Member
    5894 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

    Update?

    Post # 16
    Member
    5894 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2010

    Good Luck with the interviews!!

    The topic ‘Opinions needed – Job Interview Etiquette’ is closed to new replies.

    Find Amazing Vendors