Our dog isn't 100% housebroken?

posted 2 years ago in Pets
Post # 2
220 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

Unless your dog has a bladder infection, UTI or another medical issue he should have no problem holding his pee at least 8 hours at night. You can try putting his water bowl away in the evening if you truly think he can’t hold it.

Do you crate him while he sleeps? If not you should try that first. He should not want to soil his crate while he’s in there and then in the morning you can take him directly outside. It usually takes about 3 months to create a new habit so you could try letting him sleep out of his crate after a few months of success. In the mornings go out with him and praise him a lot when he pees and poops out there.

Post # 3
329 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

axia08:  I second the suggestion of crating him at night. Dogs will not soil in their den unless they are sick, so this is a great starting place. Also, reinforcing that going outside is a good thing (treats and lots of praise) will help. Do not make him feel bad about going in the house, its not going to help anything. Depending on how old your dog is, consider that puppies can typically hold their pee for an hour per month of age (8 month old dog, 8 hours). However both of ours we’re good from about 6 months of age for a 10 hour work day. Sounds like your dog is not a puppy, so some positive reinforcement and crate trainign should do the trick!

Post # 4
153 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: November 2013 - Stillwell House

I second the suggestion of limiting his area during the night.  In the absence of a crate I would leash them to my headboard as pups during house training, and when they got up and became restless it would wake me so I could take them out.  

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors