(Closed) Our landlords haven’t given us our $500 security deposit

posted 8 years ago in Home
Post # 3
1220 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

In your lease contract there should be a stipulation on how long they have to get it back to you.  Usually it’s a month or so.  Look there, and if it’s not in there you can either keep hounding them or send them a certified and return receipt letter that asks when you will get it.  

Post # 4
1288 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Indiana Memorial Union

Check your local tenant laws. They have an amount of time to get it back to you (mine is like 5 weeks). If they don’t respond to you, I would contact a tenant advocacy group.

They actually owe you 500 + interest (deposits are not allowed to be deposited into their personal accounts, they’re supposed to be held in escrow). But nonetheless, there is a protocol. Usually they’re supposed to contact you immediately if they think they have to keep some of it and then send you an itemized list (with receipts!), explaining exactly what you’re being held accountable for.

Post # 5
5977 posts
Bee Keeper

In PA, you have to return the security deposit within 30 days, or give the tenant a list of things that the security deposit went towards within 30 days. If you don’t, the tenant has a right to sue for double the security deposit. We did that when our landlord didn’t give us our security deposit back, and we won double the deposit. That was over 4 years ago, and we still haven’t seen a dime of it. So, I’m not sure how to help you b/c even the law didn’t help us. Yes we won, but he still owes us the money and hasn’t paid for it.

Post # 6
6661 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

I haven’t moved for 6 years, but I remember my previous landlord took about 2 months to mail back all the $. I was waiting for it because I had to take out a loan to pay the security, first & last months rent for my new apartment so I really wanted to get the $ to pay it off.

Post # 7
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would check their policies, but it doesn’t seem unreasonable to me. We didn’t get our deposit back until about 2 months after we’d moved out! It’s annoying, but it’s life I guess 🙂

Post # 8
277 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Some states must pay interest, but some do not. My state does not require the money to be in an interest-bearing account. They also have a certain amount of time to send it back in (generally 30-45 days after your lease ends).

I have had a landlord use my deposit as my last rent check. I’ve had one return it before I finished moving out. I had one (roommate/landlord type of situation) who didn’t return it at all (it wasn’t sizeable), and I took her to court just out of principle. I had one return it a month and a half after moving out.

You seem in fine shape for now.

Post # 9
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

It took us almost 3 months to get our deposit back. And they didn’t give it all back to us either!

The topic ‘Our landlords haven’t given us our $500 security deposit’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors