- 5 years ago
- Wedding: November 2011
With the help of our wonderful family and friends, we managed to pull off our very-DIY two-day, two-ceremony, two-reception wedding weekend. And I’m still alive! Our Hindu ceremony and reception was this past Friday night, and the American ceremony and reception was Saturday night.
The minor things that went wrong:
- It rained, but everything was indoors so it was okay.
- I thought I lost my mom’s necklace that I borrowed (and it was the last thing my dad gave her before he passed away), but one of my bridesmaids found it in the car.
- The caterers accidentally threw away my DIYd wine bottles that I’d saved, scraped labels off of, designed and made labels that said “water” and “raspberry lemonade” for each table and we didn’t get to use the the second night
- And the special gel pens I bought for the guest book smeared horribly making most people’s names unreadable.
- The one time I had an almost-BRIDEZILLA moment was minutes before the hindu ceremony. My husband’s sister was about to dress me in the saree, and we found that my petticoat (essential to wearing a saree, you can’t go without it) had gone missing. It was there on the dressing table when we started hair/makeup, but when we had 15 american women being dressed in sarees by 15 sri lankan women, is somehow went missing in the chaos. I started seriously freaking out and demanding to know who moved my petticoat and almost cried, and one of my wonderful bridesmaids saved the day by whipping off her own petticoat (she had a pre-stitched saree, so she could go without) and insisting I wear it. I was SO relieved. And she went without!
Things that went well
- Everything that went wrong was fixed, promptly and easily
- our families and friends were rock stars. We had about 30 people show up to help decorate and stay to tear down
- My mom is a saint. I just got ready and she organized all the helper
- our vendors were all wonderful
- Best groomsmen/bridesmaid speeches of all time. Rehearsed, funny but not appropriate, super heart felt, and just….amazing
- My bridesmaids were awesome!! Couldn’t have asked for more
- It stopped raining just enough for us to do our sparklers exit…and our friends/family stood out in the drizzle just to do it for us. How sweet
- Everyone danced and had a good time, and no one did anything “stupid” on the dance floor
- Our families were wonderful
- My now husband is the sweetest, most patient and kind man ever…and he gave me a beautiful bracelet as a wedding day present. YAY!
my husband (!) and my brother
My wedding party and me walking down the aisle for the first time (in the First Saree)
Second Saree (red one)
On the second night, my brother built this beautiful canopy for us to get married under. Just like my Pinterest inspiration!! Maybe better! And all DIY…
Second night ceremony:
Second night reception:
And our cake! I painted those cake toppers myself to match our Sri lankan clothes and our invites…
And finally, my second night reception dress…Back to red for the first dance and cake cutting.