Post # 1
Hi ladies! I need a few minutes to vent and perhaps get some advice. My fiacee and I booked what we believed to be a reputable venue in upstate NY in 12/12 for our 5/14 wedding. We were extremely excited about our choice – it was perfect! Acres of gardens, an onsite hotel/bar, and a really reasonable price. After booking, we tried to get ahead of the game by also booking our officiant, DJ, makeup/hair, ordering our dated favors, and purchasing save the dates & dated thank you cards (for our upcoming engagement party in a few weeks). We were so proud of ourselves – we knew what we wanted, were able to wait to snag amazing sales (saved over $1k on favors and stationary), etc. Then the rug got pulled out from under us.
A wedding coordinator that we had reached out to sent me an email offering me her assistance in finding a new venue.. I had NO idea what she was talking about and honestly thought she had the wrong person. But she didn’t. Our venue began foreclosure proceedings last week, and never bothered to notify anyone! My fiancee called this morning and essentially told him that they were fighting for their business.. which is nice to hear, but not exactly helpful. We’ve only given them a non refundable 2500 deposit, which sucks, but we can deal.
Now onto finding a new facility. Since we are less than a year out, we have almost zero chance of finding our date. Most places are already booked. I just feel so frustrated because I thought that we were doing so well with planning and saving money.. and then this happens! We are thinking about how to reuse our 200 favors (pint glasses w/ our names and wedding date on them), and figure we will just have to suck up the new Save the Dates.. thank goodness we didn’t do anythig else. Our next concern is our vendors since now there is the possibility of not even having the same day. Any suggestions on how to handle? We never purchased wedding insurance – we were thinking about doing that once we had our engagment party so we would have the funds to pay for it. What a nightmare!
Thanks for listening!
Post # 3
@Preludeangel: yikes! i hope you find something soon.
this happened to me with my previous wedding. the cater closed his doors less than a month before my “june” wedding. ouch. my advise, stay calm, stay focused and stay positive that you will find something new.
Post # 4
Foreclosure process can be a long drawn out battle. If the company is fighting for it you still have a chance to have your wedding there.
Post # 5
@mypinkshoes – I don’t know what I would have done a month out! How did everything turn out??
@ecrowe1281 – We’ve considered staying put – but since it’s less than a year out, we’re terrified of having what happened to the commenter above you happenig to us. Being that we’re in a major metro area, most venues are booked a year or so out as it is. 🙁
Post # 6
Have you thought about looking into something like this: http://www.bridalbrokerage.com/
Maybe there is something available through them for your current date that isn’t too far away? Good luck to you, what a terrible situation!
Post # 7
What did the venue offer in terms of getting your deposit back?
I appreciate that they say they are “fighting for their business” but if they had paid their bills in the first place, they wouldn’t be in this position – thus putting their clients in this position. I’d get out and find another place and find it fast. I hope everything works out for you and you get to keep your date.
Post # 8
o goodness! im sorry your going thru this! Start looking everywere for a new venue! im in stl and we only booked ours 10 months out, so theres hope that you can find something. it wont be your first choice obvlisouly, however you dont want to have to redo everything with dates already on it!
Post # 9
@Preludeangel: You should start looking into other places and call to see if they have your date available. There are plenty of places in upstate NY (if that’s where you want to hold your wedding).
Post # 10
You should be receiving your deposit back
Post # 11
Hi girls! Thanks for all of the feedback. Here is where we are at the moment..
We were able to book a venue that allowed us to keep our date (yay!), and all of our vendors (double yay!). The place is beautiful, a little closer to home. It’s unfortunately also a little bit more expensive, and doesn’t have a hotel onsite like our original venue did. All in all, we will figure it out – it’s worth the extra money to know that the venue will be open next May!
Regarding the other venue, ugh! I had my fiancee call to discuss canceling our wedding since he is much better at those conversations than I am. He left several messages during the week of the 4th of July before being able to get ahold of anyone a week later. He called the first time, was transferred to teh saleswoman we had been working with, and either lost the call or was hung up on. We’re not quite sure. He called right back, went to voicemail, called again 5 minutes later, and was put in touch with another manager (I think he’s an owner/co-owner?). Turns out that since our contract states that all monies paid are non refundable, we are SOL in regards to the deposit and additional funds we put towards our wedding. The gentleman also INSISTED that they were going to be open and were working on refinancing the property. Now, I’m not a financial analyst, but I feel like most people refinance BEFORE they go into foreclosure, and the fact that he even had to make this assertations is a bad sign overall. He agreed to release us of our contract for the venue and hotel rooms, so we thought we were all good. I thought about everything that had happened, and decided to reach back out to our original salesperson, who never returned a single one of my fiancee’s calls, to request a written statement saying that we were released of any additional financial responsibility. My concern is that since we signed the original contract ($16k), they were going to try to hold us to it unless we received it in writing stating otherwise, especially since they have our CC information on file. I stated in my letter that the SOLE reason we were moving our wedding was that we could not be acertain that they would even be open for our date, and we would have spent virtually our life savings on absolutely nothing. The response I got? “I’ll call you tomorrow to discuss”. I’m terrified that we will now be responsible for the additional $16k we owe per the contract we signed. I feel so sick to my stomach right now, it’s ridiculoiuis.
So until further notice, here’s to holding my breath that I’m overreacting!
Post # 12
10 months is not that little!! i started planning in november and i had my wedding in april! just search for another venue in the area like crazy and i’m sure you’ll find one
Post # 13
@Preludeangel: i highly doubt they can charge you the entire $16k. you’d have to cancel much closer to your wedding for something like that to happen. if they try to charge your CC, then file a dispute with the CC company.