Outdoor 5:30pm Midwest Thanksgiving ceremony, CRAZY??

posted 3 years ago in November 2013
Post # 3
842 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

I’m from Chicago, and I don’t mean to be rude, I just want to be honest with you.  I would not go to a Thanksgiving outdoor wedding. 1) It’s Thanksgiving. I wouldn’t want to be at an evening wedding instead of at the table with turkey and gravy. 2) It’s frigin cold! You’re looking at temps in the 40’s (F).   3) It’s dark! If you check sunset times for St. Louis, you’ll see it’s @ 4:41PM.  4) You said “standing around”. You’re not providing chairs?  Ten mins is, however, a more than resoanable time for a ceremony. Just remember that guests arrive before the bride does. They’ll likely be out there longer than you are estimating. Maybe you should just have the pastor show up to Thanksgiving dinner INSIDE and have it in the living room, or something.  I wouldn’t cancel though. What’s done is done. Good luck.

Post # 4
3693 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Yeah, late November in the Midwest is (as you know) super unpredictable. There could be several feet of snow on the ground at that point. Since you only have 16 guests, it’s probably the people who are closest to you who would be at your ceremony no matter what. I’d still try to make it as comfortable for them as possible — nobody wants to stand outside in the dark when it’s freezing. If you’re set on an outdoors wedding, I think you either need to move it up to like, now or wait until it’s warm again after this coming winter. However, I think the more reasonable idea is to move the ceremony indoors.

Post # 5
4043 posts
Honey bee

@SherryBlossom78:  + 1 and I agree with everything you said. 

OP, perhaps have it inside somewhere and then do a family gathering/thanksgiving meal afterward. Is there a small place you can rent (church, community center, side room at a restaurant)? 

Post # 6
1749 posts
Bumble bee

Honestly? Yes, this is a little crazy. Are you providing food before/after? That’s will be an uncomfortable ceremony and I think it would be better suited to the indoors (maybe somewhere with a huge window?) so people can relax and pay rapt attention. 

If I was a family member I would go and I’d grin and bear it, but I wouldn’t be thrilled with the outdoor ceremony. I’d be much more relaxed and in a place to enjoy the ceremony somewhere warm.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors