(Closed) Outdoor Christmas Decorations & Ideas, Lets see pics!

posted 7 years ago in Home
Post # 3
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

Why not post a picture of your house’s exterior so people can give ideas based on the shape and style? Do you already have some things to use or will you be shopping? We don’t have ours up yet, so no pictures.

Post # 5
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

Pretty house. Do you have outdoor lights at all? White? Colored? Any garland or greens?

I prefer to use white lights these days, so if that was my house, I’d drape white lights across the front and maybe swirled around the columns (at least the ones closest to the front door). To make the door stand out,I’d do fresh greenery surrounding it with a fresh wreath on the door either decorated with Christmas balls or a large bow. Single candles in each window is always a nice,welcoming touch.

I use large green artificial garlands over each window as well as over my front door, and we light up all our bushes and tree trunks closest to our house as well. We also have several large artificial pre-lit trees,lit stacked boxes and lit snowmen.

I think the easiest thing to do is decide on a look you like, and each year add to your collection. Our entire garage loft is filled with our outdoor Christmas decorations, and I have a room in my basement filled with indoor stuff. It takes time to accumulate so much, so now I’ve started giving some away.

Have fun with it! We love Christmas too.

Post # 6
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

our house last year.

Post # 7
503 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I would stick with clear lights and maybe outline the house in the red rope lights for a touch of color. Some poinsettas next to the door and a red/white/green wreath. And (depending on your budget) something to line to walk. I don’t like candy canes personally but they would work. As would the swirly light trees that look a little like this:

Post # 8
3762 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

We did clear lights on the outside of the house.  We just went along the roof line for now. 

Post # 10
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

Ahh I just bought a house too and I’m so excited for this.  We only just closed on Tuesday and I’m already plotting.  The hubs is a little annoyed (he is silly and thinks we should focus on things like replacing the carpet and patching nail holes in the wall.. pssshhh get your priorities straight hubs!).

Post # 11
809 posts
Busy bee

I dont have any pictures of mine  but I like to keep it somewhat simple and traditional…

I have a porch that goes across almost all of the front of my house. We swag plain green garland across the porch and place a red bow at every point. I also frame the door way with garland and bows.

I like to place a green wreath with a red bow on each window.

We do the traditional icicle lights in white. I also place the white battery operated candle stick in each window. … And decorate the mailbox usually with some garland and ribbon and a bow.

Other than that I hung sparkly snowflakes on the insides of my main windows they look very pretty hanging inside and outside with the lights on you can see a nice silhouette

We switch up the door decoration most years… I have some quirky signs … sometimes i do a wreath… this year i made it look like ribbon around a present with a big red bow

We do always put up a little santa stop here sign in the yard.

I have some giant red balls i bought for pennys after christmas last year but I am still not sure what to do with them.

I personally feel like keeping it simple and traditional is the best way. I had a set of swirly trees like a PP showed that i also thought looked nice but they stopped working.

I also have my eye on a snowman made of wire and white lights and just a touch of color at homedepot.

I also do my christmas decor shopping right after christmas is a fun thing me and my mom do every year and that is how i am able to change up so many of my christmas decorations for little money.

Post # 12
809 posts
Busy bee

@AnnieAAA: Judging from what I can tell about your picture… I think net lights would look good on your bushes. I would stick to white lights  on your house it looks like you have 2 small columns in the front … you could do red lights spiraling around them or even do just red ribbon to make a candy cane effect.

Other than that it would completely depend on the route you want to go if you want to go more traditional like garlands and wreaths or more wacky fun

Post # 13
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I am of no help because my FH wants to be the Clark Griswold of theneighberhood.   I will only share the picture of the 8 foot snowman he made this year.   

I am sure all of you lovely ladies are thinking MAN I WISH THAT WAS MY HOUSE.

Post # 14
1391 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

@ItWasntMe: what a beautiful home!

@AnnieAAA: I think those lighted candy canes would be super cute lining your walk way!

Post # 15
809 posts
Busy bee

@Nola: Lol Nola i actually wish my husband would make me a huge snowman LOL I think its  kinda cute

Post # 16
1940 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

@FutureMrs.Harless  I think that part alone is cute (minus the factor that it really is 8 feet tall).  However, the millions of lights that he also has on the house is the part that drives me crazy.  We turn the corner to our block and our house seems to be just glowing and I kid you not everytime he gets such a big smile and says “Oh YEAH!”

The topic ‘Outdoor Christmas Decorations & Ideas, Lets see pics!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors